Options

Opinions on 9/80 work schedules?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone here work on a 9/80 work schedule? How do you feel about it? I will have the option for that soon and think it sounds cool because I can use the extra day to spend with fam/friends, track days, riding my bike, and playing videogames. I only see pros but I'd like to hear any cons people have. Hearing any pros to support my pros doesn't hurt either. I just want to know how other people who have worked the schedule feel.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used to do it all the time. I really enjoyed it. The extra hour/day wasn't noticeable.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here, i will not switch back :) I used to have friday every two weeks off, i switched it for every friday half day off.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What is 9/80?

I'm just about to finish a shift role that was 4 on/4 off - I will miss that but I'm getting a bit fed up of being tired all the damn time.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's just like it sounds. You work 9 hours/day and get every other Friday off (you work 8 hours on non-off Friday). It works for places with 2 week pay cycle.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    SmilymarcoSmilymarco Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its a two week schedule. You work 5 days in the first week, 4 days in the second.
    Each day you work, you'll do 9 hours instead of 8 and "earn" one more free day.

Edit:
    dave was faster :)
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't imagine my work would ever allow it. Everyone above me in the hierarchy, which there are many (global corporation), is de facto expected to work a 50+ hour week.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I current work the 9/80 schedule and I really enjoy it. The only con about the schedule is that 9th hour that I have to work puts me right into the middle of rush hour traffic.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I did this at a previous help desk job, the extra hour wasn't hard to get used to and it was nice having the extra day.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked this schedule in San Diego. Its great, I actually worked half day Fridays sometimes. It also saves some gas, I lived 60 miles from work.
  • Options
    illuminusilluminus Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9/80 work schedule is the way to go. When I first started with a 9/80 schedule, I was unsure how I'd feel about working 9 hour days but it isn't an issue at all. I wouldn't want to go back to a regular work schedule.
  • Options
    kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    8/80 here and absolutely love it. Nights are family time and weekends are long. Add in a holiday or vacation day for a 4 day weekend ~50% of the year and life is good.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aren't you actually working 81 hours instead of 80 hours every two weeks? 9 * 5 = 45, 9 * 4 = 36, 45 + 36 = 81 or am I missing something?
  • Options
    You added an extra 9 hour shift.

Week 1:
    4 x 9 hour shifts (ex. Mon - Thurs)
    1 x 8 hour shift (ex. Fri)

Week 2:
    4 x 9 hour shift (ex. Mon - Thurs)
    1 day off (ex. Fri)
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I current work the 9/80 schedule and I really enjoy it. The only con about the schedule is that 9th hour that I have to work puts me right into the middle of rush hour traffic.

I think I'd rather "add" that extra hour to the morning and not the end of the day when you just want to be home as close to 5pm as possible.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The company I work for does a variation on this as the normal schedule.

From the week after Memorial Day through the end of October we work 7:45 AM - 5:30 PM and get off every Friday at 12:45 PM. The rest of the time is 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM and off at 3:00 PM on Fridays.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hadn't heard of 9/80 before this thread. I am so used to seeing 80 hour weeks it didn't even cross my mind that it indicated 2 week scheduling. I'd like to see 4x10 more often as there is little difference in my experience between 8 hours and 10 hours and usually 8 hours turn into 10 quickly. On a couple occasions I have seen 3 x 12 with 4 shifts to cover the week and Sunday was a down day except for maintenance and on-call support. Seems to be a challenge to convince folks that working 3 full days is a bad deal though icon_scratch.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I used to work 4x10 and thought it was great to have that extra day off. The only downside for me was that it was graveyard shift. Had it been a day shift I would have loved it.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best shift to work is a 4x10. 4 days working and 3 days off... I work the day shift so it works out. I enjoy having 3 days off instead of 2.

Honestly I have found the earlier you can get into the office, the earlier you get to leave. I enjoyed working 6am to 230p. I got home around 330p and had the rest of the evening to do whatever I wanted. Granted I had to be up very early I preferred that to coming in and working 8a-5p because that is when everyone gets off work and its no fun driving through a sea of people every morning and evening....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm on a 9/80 right now and absolutely hate it. The way our company does it, you work M-Th of week 1 for 9 hours, then Friday for 8 hours. 4 of Friday's hours count towards week 1, 4 count towards week 2. On week 2, you work M-Th for 9 hours and have Friday off. I'm exhausted by my off Friday, my kids are in daycare longer, and there is no flexibility if something comes up during the week. We used to be on a flex 5/40 schedule and you get could get 40 hours in any time. So you could take 4 10 hour days and have Friday off, or any number of combinations. 9/80 sucks.

Don't listen to the BS about more time with family or more time to do this or that. The 8 hours you have off on the 2nd Friday, you give up during every other day of the week. And you'll be running errands and going to appointments on your off Friday instead of enjoying it. For anyone with a family, 9/80 sucks.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @jt2929,

I have never found a difference between an 8,9 or 10 hour day. By the time travel is figured in,there is no time to make personal appointments and the kids are in day care regardless. At least with a full day off during the week, it makes it possible to get appointments done without taking time off from work. I think many folks just do not care and take the time off they need as they need it. Time off has always bothered me, unless it is vacation. If I committed to being at work, I feel the obligation to be there. Never have I had an employer in the past twenty years who questioned needed time off, but taking it felt wrong and so I never would. Back in the 80s, of course employers would give you grief if time was taken off, some better than others, but some places simply made it near impossible to take without threatening ones employment. Mostly, those days are gone.

Nevertheless, once kids and family enter the mix, we will always be busy no matter what, but that was the point to having those young people enter our lives now wasn't it? ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    A free friday in every 2 weeks is a big help. That day i get to run errands and have time to relax.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    If I committed to being at work, I feel the obligation to be there. Never have I had an employer in the past twenty years who questioned needed time off, but taking it felt wrong and so I never would.

Nevertheless, once kids and family enter the mix, we will always be busy no matter what, but that was the point to having those young people enter our lives now wasn't it? ;)

I admire your work ethic.... but employers some of them are requiring you to take time off even if its not a vacation. To me IMO if I have the ability to take time off I will take it, even if its not a vacation. Sometimes you just need a day or two off to recharge and regroup and focus.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    jt2929 wrote: »
    Don't listen to the BS about more time with family or more time to do this or that. The 8 hours you have off on the 2nd Friday, you give up during every other day of the week. And you'll be running errands and going to appointments on your off Friday instead of enjoying it. For anyone with a family, 9/80 sucks.

EXACTLY! anyone with a spouse or kids KNOWS.... that on the day you have off the extra day is spent running errands, shopping, and going to Dr appts. In fact ALL 3 of my days off are used for that... so I rarely get to enjoy a day off icon_cry.gif

The Best situation to be in (if you have a spouse or significant other) is your days off differ, so when you are off.... she is working and if you are working she is taking her days off.... icon_lol.gif kidding.....
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have something similar, but it's a half-day off each Friday. I don't have a spouse or kiddos to burn up my half day! Hooray!! Instead, though I have a part-time IT gig, and so most Friday afternoons I'm working that, but it means extra moolah, so I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    I do most of my errands after work when I can and on weekends. I'm hoping the 3-day weekends help me have more time for living life. My commute time roundtrip can be anywhere from 2.5 - 4 hours depending on traffic right now. Soon my commute is going to be probably 10 minutes or less possibly by bicycle or foot so I'm getting a lot of time back. Also no kids and don't want 'em. SO feels the same way. Anyone in the same situation as me and have their experience to throw in?
  • Options
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    I do most of my errands after work when I can and on weekends. I'm hoping the 3-day weekends help me have more time for living life. My commute time roundtrip can be anywhere from 2.5 - 4 hours depending on traffic right now. Soon my commute is going to be probably 10 minutes or less possibly by bicycle or foot so I'm getting a lot of time back. Also no kids and don't want 'em. SO feels the same way. Anyone in the same situation as me and have their experience to throw in?

I currently work 4x10 and I like it... the extra 2hrs you really do not notice them. My commute is 1hr 30min one way with traffic so round trip its 3hrs to and from work....the 3 day weekend gives you more time to study, and run errands. The good thing about you is you will have a 10min or less commute which will mean more time AFTER work to do stuff....

Me however.... when I get off work I drive home, walk the dog, eat, get my clothes ready, walk the dog again, shower, walk the dog again... and bed. Not always in that order.... since I get home later (usually at 730ish) I really dont have time to run errands after work unless my SO needs me to... Since I work near a bunch of stores I try to get that done after work then go home... or take care of that on my lunch break......(since I can do whatever on lunch then eat at my desk)

As long as your SO does not always use your off days for Appointments, shopping, and running around you will be fine.... If she always uses that time to do that stuff.... then your next move will be to the night shift icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've worked it before....it's nice because you can go on trips and things without burning PTO. Also if you can eat at your desk and count most of that time and or choose to work earlier or later it's really nice.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If only more jobs were tasked based, get a, b ,c done and done for the week. I haven't worked a standard 40 hour week in my 18 months of IT because both positions have been salary tasked base. In return I'm on call 24-7 in case things go down.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    A free friday in every 2 weeks is a big help. That day i get to run errands and have time to relax.

It's not free, you pay for it the other 9 work days.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    If only more jobs were tasked based, get a, b ,c done and done for the week. I haven't worked a standard 40 hour week in my 18 months of IT because both positions have been salary tasked base. In return I'm on call 24-7 in case things go down.

I agree. Ever since reading the book about the 40hr work week. it really changed my perspective on working so much. Most jobs can be done in less than 8 hrs. But I think more companies should allow people to work from home. Unless you are on the Help Desk, Tier 2-3 or a Field service tech you should have the option to work from home unless your job function needed you to be at the job site. Most meetings (some not all) can be call in or webex meetings.