Options

eLearnSecurity PTPv4 Revealed (Attended webinar)

Comments

• Options
    RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with this. System Security is the section I am starting with and it is way better than the previous one.
    I know you were the one that said the labs and material was a little disjointed so if you can comment on how the new course improves from the v3 that would be cool. You said the ejpt was much better organized, so I was wondering how you feel about the new ptpv4.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • Options
    HiggsxHiggsx Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to take PTPv4. As I know if I enroll during June I can get next better plan,so if I take PTPv4 FULL I can get elite version and PTS. I prefer to pay in installments. In this situation I wonder if I can get their offer? Do I need to pay fully?
  • Options
    hopeshopes Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,
    just signed up to the forums.

I attended the webinar too and as others I'm currently thinking whether upgrade or not.
    I currently own an eCCPT gold cert after having attended the PPTv3 course.
    I have few questions, maybe someone can help me clarify them:
    • are there any new labs with regards to PPTv3 (I mean new scenarios, new topics, etc)? Or do they just updated the lab manuals?
    • for people considering to upgrade, are you going to take the final exam too? Do you know whether the exam scenario has been updated/changed?
    I'm tempted to upgrade too, mainly because new videos have been released (they were really old on PPTv3) and because it seems the part on System Security has undergone a huge improvement (BoF, shellcoding, etc).

The offer is good in terms of pricing, in my opinion.
    I think I'll drop an email to Armando and Francesco too.
    I'll let you know in case.

Cheers
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Hopes
    They added a few labs. I say the upgrade is worth it since they added lots of info to the System and Web security modules but I've just broswed about 20 minutes this morning after purchasing. Maybe they changed the other modules also but I havent time to check
  • Options
    Bodanel wrote: »
    @Hopes
    They added a few labs. I say the upgrade is worth it since they added lots of info to the System and Web security modules but I've just broswed about 20 minutes this morning after purchasing. Maybe they changed the other modules also but I havent time to check
    Thanks, appreciated.
    Could you kindly elaborate on which labs have been added (are new)?
  • Options
    MerkatPandaMerkatPanda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Higgsx wrote: »
    I want to take PTPv4. As I know if I enroll during June I can get next better plan,so if I take PTPv4 FULL I can get elite version and PTS. I prefer to pay in installments. In this situation I wonder if I can get their offer? Do I need to pay fully?

1. Yes, once you purchased FULL you will be automatically upgraded to ELITE with PTS for FREE
    2. You can pay via instalment, do click here at their enrolment section HERE. Do use PTP-V4E for 30% discount.

Myself upgraded to v3 to v4 and here are my thoughts why v4 is good to upgrade.

1. Whole new revised version for System Security since it makes understand better in the foundation of it.
    2. Revamped from using Backtrack 5 (Old) to Kali Linux
    3. Better and cleaner labs.
    4. Upgraded to Elite for Ruby (Why not!)

Currently, persuading my colleagues to join too before the offer ends by this end of the month. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    chazb0tchazb0t Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm probably going to pay for the update as well. The update to the System Security seems like it's worth update by itself.

Worth the $249 to upgrade, my exam lab time ran out Monday morning and I didn't finish all the exam objectives.

I definitely took for granted your advice to practice the assembly, buffer overflow, and shell-coding. I hit a wall in the exam that I couldn't get past and spent the last couple days wracking my brain.

Based on their feedback they have revamped the whole system security and assembly, buffer overflow, and shell-coding from scratch. Not that it was bad in the first place, it's my fault for being under-prepared.

The good news is from upgrading you get extra exam takes. So now I have my PTPv3 retake, and an additional exam, and an addition retake from upgrading.

Reading the eLearnSecurity forums the CEO Armando said less than 30% of people pass on the first attempt, so I don't feel so bad coming from no background and no experience, but eJPT was definitely much easier as a beginner.
  • Options
    For those who already upgraded from v3 to v4, could you kindly list which new labs have been added?
    For the exam takers, don't underestimate the web app part icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the labs are exactly the same (they did make the manuals look a little different...). I've looked through few of them and everything is exactly the same.
  • Options
    chazb0tchazb0t Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think they changed the existing ones? I think they added 7 new ones, re-did all the videos, updated their out-of-date slides (added HTML5 versions instead of just PDFs), and revamped the whole system security section.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They added zero labs unfortunately icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ritual wrote: »
    I know you were the one that said the labs and material was a little disjointed so if you can comment on how the new course improves from the v3 that would be cool. You said the ejpt was much better organized, so I was wondering how you feel about the new ptpv4.

This, I will have to admit - was one of the let downs for the upgrade. They have included a guide for matching the modules to the labs, but they are still not in order. So, moving from lab to lab is not seamless when moving through the content. The labs for the PTS still, in my opinion, flow better than PTP.

I do have to agree with NetworkNewb - at least on the surface a lot of the labs seem to be the same ones. That being said, I am not really qualified to answer that as I didn't make it too far in the labs for the previous version. Once the update was announced I took a break to focus on relaxing and getting use to having dogs (two malamutes) but just browsing through them I don't notice anything too different.

I've been going through the System Security section and I can say, that at least that section is way better. The explanation of the stack and working with assembly is way more in depth.

I can't fuss too much as my upgrade was free.
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the old PTSv2 & PPT3 versions but my lab time and exam vouchers have expired. Since obtaining my CISSP, my roles have required me to focus on GRC work, but eventually I'll need to focus on the more technical pieces of my organization. Given the training options out there, $249 isn't that much for the depth of this training in my opinion. Heck the last two books I've read (Penetration Testing - A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking & OSIT) were over $100 including tax. In a perfect world my employer would have a budget to send me to all the SANS courses I request, but unfortunately that is not an option or realistic. I'll probably just bit the bullet and upgrade this week.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im on the site and I see that the barebone option is for invite only.... does that mean someone has to invite me? Or is that the one I have to share their stuff on social media and I am emailed a link?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    If you share on regularly on social media, then ask for a barebones there is a good chance they will give it to you. Otherwise, they will run specials from time to time where current students get an invite to send to someone for the barebone.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok I will start sharing their stuff on social media. Currently the barebone is "invite only" so IDK if someone has to invite me or not.... I want this training
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am planning to purchase PTPv4 full edition, i have to pay from my pocket and meanwhile i have CEHv9 official coursework and preparing for this.
    One quick question i am using these two courses for my career development with security from linux background, so any thoughts/Reviews about PTPv4

so this will help me to grow more towards security side. My future plans are moving towards OSCP.

Waiting for valuable thoughts and review from everyone :)
    Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

• Options
    You probably won't find any in-depth reviews for v4 yet since it is so new. That being said, if you poke around on the forum there is a lot of good info on v3.
  • Options
    Thank you Mooseboot for the reply

Just want to confirm whether the path (CEH -> ECCPT (PTPv4) -> OSCP) which i have chosen will be helpful for career development in security as i have 10+years of experience with linux and basic network knowledge

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Well, did the upgrade from PTPv3 to PTPv4 for $249. Will be starting that in August most likely. Working on Linux skills and some other stuff right now. Don't forget today is the last day to use any of the promo codes!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That upgrade price is attractive
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Yes, i have gone for Full edition (got upgraded to Elite) with promo 30% off
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Well, did the upgrade from PTPv3 to PTPv4 for $249. Will be starting that in August most likely. Working on Linux skills and some other stuff right now. Don't forget today is the last day to use any of the promo codes!!

• Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    That upgrade price is attractive

If you're interested better act today, the promo code for the $249 price ends today. I had asked Armando last week how much it will go up to and he said it wasn't set yet but it probably wouldn't double. I would take advantage of the promo as I would guess it will be at least $399.

Also, the HTML5 is soooo much faster and smoother than Flash. I wish Flash would die already.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Having made it through the System Security module and into the Network Security module - I can say the refresh of the videos has been very well done. They have definitely put more effort into the videos this time and the slides provide better details.

JoJo is right - if you want it, best to act now before the price goes up.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I signed up.

Now I need to finish eWPT, change my current job and finish eCPPT.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just used my eJPT knowledge for a good cause.

I was having an issue with a wifi babycam (local only of course, no inet connection) so I used a combination of nmap and burpsuite to resolve the issue icon_cheers.gif

Actually I used them to check but they had nothing to do with actually fixing the issue :D
  • Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anybody know what the early bird thing for people who attended the livestream was for? I got the code but still don't know what it's for.
  • Options
    Ooops, realized you meant something else. I too am wondering what it's all about.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I got an early bird thing as well. I have no idea what its for but I read in the email that it was for something coming soon. I hope its for the eNDP or a discount off a course.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hope its a free crack at one of their courses as well. Although they did say it wasn't a new course.

I think its probably a new "monthly membership" plan to access all their courses (exam fees not included). That's my guess anyways but I am probably wrong.
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux