Options

eLearnSecurity PTPv4 Revealed (Attended webinar)

13»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Ritual wrote: »
    I hope its a free crack at one of their courses as well. Although they did say it wasn't a new course.

I think its probably a new "monthly membership" plan to access all their courses (exam fees not included). That's my guess anyways but I am probably wrong.

I would do that. I want to do all of their courses.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That would be an enticing offer.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would really enjoy doing all of the courses that they have but it would take me a couple of years just to learn a lot of the basic stuff. I still gotta learn a few things for the eCPPT course and I know its gonna take about six months for me before I even think about working on the certification.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Well, did the upgrade from PTPv3 to PTPv4 for $249. Will be starting that in August most likely. Working on Linux skills and some other stuff right now. Don't forget today is the last day to use any of the promo codes!!

I upgraded too with a plan to start around that timeframe. Send me a PM if you do start around that time.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EngRob wrote: »
    I upgraded too with a plan to start around that timeframe. Send me a PM if you do start around that time.
    Please send me a PM, I will join you and try to keep up with you guys.

I have been reading The Linux Command Line book and practicing on Kali, then I decided to do a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and broke my Kali installation, now I need to find a way to fix it, apparently Linux and Nvidia don't like each other so you have to test and change many things to make them work together.
  • Options
    EngRob wrote: »
    wd40 wrote: »
    Please send me a PM, I will join you and try to keep up with you guys.

I have been reading The Linux Command Line book and practicing on Kali, then I decided to do a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and broke my Kali installation, now I need to find a way to fix it, apparently Linux and Nvidia don't like each other so you have to test and change many things to make them work together.

Sounds good, I'll do that. Finishing up my MSISA capstone right now and also started studying up Linux so I'm itching to dive in next month.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I recommend using VMDKs and having an original lying around when you take the exam. This makes it easy to jump back into action.
  • Options
    A virtual machine will not give me access to 3 x 27" monitors + core i7 4770k + 16 GB of RAM.

Originally I bought the 3 monitors just because I wanted 3 x 27" monitors, but after actually using them I discovered that they really speed things up while studying or pen-testing (for the exam).

I just need to stop fooling around around the exam time and find a way (that works for my setup) to do a full system image backup.

Thanks JoJoCal19
  • Options
    I gotta be honest, I can't imagine using that many screens during the exam. I had one screen for taking notes (also a Mind Map I was using) and the other for Kali. What is your reasoning if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    I will give an example.
    For training purpose.
    Screen 1: Keepnote with all my notes. and for google.
    Screen 2(middle): I will have the book or training video open.
    Screen 3: for practicing what I am reading / watching.

For the exam, same thing, notes one one, tools running on two and google on three.
    so I don't have to waste time switching applications or doing split screens or using smaller text etc.

I had a 4th screen for some time but I disconnected it, in my opinion 2 should be minimum, 3 are useful at times, 4 is too much.
  • Options
    I see. Your OS is Linux. You're not running anything in VMs. I chose a VM to reduce the chance of breaking something and not being able to easily revert to an earlier state or just fire another up VM.

Good luck! When are you aiming to take the exam?
  • Options
    Thanks,

I tried Kali on a VM, I just could not handle the small single screen, and the bad mouse response, also by having a full install I have to fix the things that I break, I can't take the easy way out, and I will work with different devices and application issues (Printing, Scanning, network, drives etc and office applications etc).

Hopefully I will test by end of this year.
  • Options
    I've got a nice ultra-wide Dell monitor so I get two full square windows side by side. I will eventually switch to a dual ultra-wide setup.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I brought at 32inch tv for the desktop. I knew that I would need something more for studying and it was very very very helpful when I was taking the eJPT certification. I had Kali in a VM running for the test. So the whole setup during the test was about six putty ssh screens on the main desktop while I had about 4 in the Kali VM. I was thinking about buying two smaller screens but the 32 inch was on sale.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****