Options

If you had to do it all over again, which Certs would you get?

2»

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Wondering if I should've moved to presales when I had the chance to do so. who knows...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aren't these type of questions something you ask when you are about to die? Even at 80 you can still get certs. Most on average take 3 months if you do not have a family and about 4-7 if you do. All depending on your motivation of course. :p
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I regret not getting in earlier than 33 but one advantage late bloomers have I is the potential to quickly move up.

No need to feel bad about 80k, majority of americans never make that.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    The party never stops! icon_thumright.gif

Never!

Party on Wayne icon_thumright.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went 9 years without taking a certificate. Have taken 3 within 2 years since. Wishing i had kept going after my A+ in my early days.
  • Options
    v1ralv1ral Member Posts: 116 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would skip A+ and Net+. And go get the CCNA and MCSA and then Sec+
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I regret not getting in earlier than 33 but one advantage late bloomers have I is the potential to quickly move up.

No need to feel bad about 80k, majority of americans never make that.

The median HOUSEHOLD income is like 53k.. think about that - that could be with 2 people working. (This is in the US of A)
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    And im 30.... about to be 31 next month and working at Help Desk roles..... SMH like they always say "Better late then never".
    Right there with you. 31 just getting into it. Its funny too cause when I was 21 and in college I remember considering CS and thinking NO WAY! how horrible. How my perception has changed.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Techytach wrote: »
    Right there with you. 31 just getting into it. Its funny too cause when I was 21 and in college I remember considering CS and thinking NO WAY! how horrible. How my perception has changed.

When I was a kid I was always around computers.... I used to break them and fix them, and lock my sister off the network because I got tired of her doing it to me... then I got grounded. :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Don't regret certs, just wish I spent more time using Linux.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Wondering if I should've moved to presales when I had the chance to do so. who knows...

Ha! My good friend went from software development to architect to pre sales and makes a killing now. I am somewhat envious truth be told. Without his permission I'll list out his pay. Went from making 88,000 with a 10% bonus to 155,000 with a 55% bonus and the last two years has doubled his bonus 110%!

He is socking away over 65,000 net USD the last two years. 130,000 just in investments and savings and guess what he's on track to do it again, another 110%. I know that's never going to be me, I am okay with that, but it's crazy to see someone you have known for 20+ years hit the jackpot. Of course we know sales has huge cycles so he caught on at the right time but still.......

Funny part is he has 0 certifications and only a bachelors in CS, which helped get him a start in software development out of college.
  • Options
    D1renegadeD1renegade Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish I would've gotten a Bachelors in something IT related instead of the trash I settled with.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @DatabaseHead: yeah presales was actually easier! I think it still is by the way, and it can be you! No certs needed, just some common sense and people skills and bit of technical knowledge.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @DatabaseHead: yeah presales was actually easier! I think it still is by the way, and it can be you! No certs needed, just some common sense and people skills and bit of technical knowledge.

Sounds right up my alley! ;)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Hmmm, not sure I regret the certifications, maybe should have got more earlier. I do regret staying in one job longer than I should have.

But if I were just starting out now, then I'd jump on one of the 'so hot right now' areas, which is probably cloud/virtualisation. You could probably start with MCSA Office 365 or Google Apps Administrator, then go for AWS and Azure. You could probably get to 'expert' in a couple of years.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Not a thing.
    I would have got my Bachelors at a younger age is the only difference I've done.
    Otherwise I feel the certs and path I did were correct.
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    1. A+ to break into the field
    2.CCNA
    3.CCNP
    4.CCIE
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I'd not stop at LPIC-1 and would pursue higher-level Novell engineer cert for which the exam is hands-on. I'd go for the current cert that I got after Novel engineer cert.
    At the time, there was no split between RHCSA and RHCE and it was still one giant 6+ hour long exam. Something like a trial for Lance Armstrong's teammate.