CCNA a good choice?

PUNISHPUNISH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a decent background in IT with most of it coming from the security side. I have a few certs (CISSP/Sec+) but nothing that technical. While I know a decent amount of networking I feel that a good technical cert would help me tremendously in my knowledge and career.

Would you think the CCNA would be a strong cert to add to a strong security background?

I thought about maybe OSCP or the eCCPT or another technical sec cert, but there is a voice inside me that keeps wanting to convience me to get the CCNA and possibly CCNP.

Has the CCNA helped some of you guys in your career?

Comments

• tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to stay in InfoSec then go for the others. Some helpdesk/desktop jobs require CCNA over a A+ these days. Not sure why. Then again if you want it, don't knock yourself out. Wouldn't hurt for sure.
  • PUNISHPUNISH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tmtex wrote: »
    If you want to stay in InfoSec then go for the others. Some helpdesk/desktop jobs require CCNA over a A+ these days. Not sure why. Then again if you want it, don't knock yourself out. Wouldn't hurt for sure.
    Good points.

I'm at a point where I want to learn more and progress my career, but after the CISSP I just am a little confused on what will help my knowledge/ career.

I feel like I have a nice wide variety of skills but need to start diving deep into a specific direction.

I thought maybe CISSP-ISSAP, but most of the training material is just more CISSP and not much more in depth.

Then I thought OSCP, but realistically there is little to no job opportunities in my area for pen testers.

I love security and IT in general, but find it very difficult to start to dive deep in one direction.

Any advice on how some of you found your specializations would be very benifitial.

I am leaning towards staying in security because most of my work experience is in that field, but find it hard to pick a cert that progresses past CISSP and that is actually marketable.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A CCNA wouldn't hurt. Try it, you might like it ;)
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Infosec is about fixing things and securing things that you know about.... The CCNA will teach you networking skills and you can build on that. For example if I asked you what is the difference between DHCP and Static and how can I find the external and internal IP address of a user can you answer those in a interview?

I say this because anyone in infosec will tell you.... you have to know how something works before you can fix it. Networking is part of security.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    Given you're in infosec and already have CISSP, I'd think OSCP would be the best technical cert for you. CCNA wouldn't hurt, but it's a bit tangential.
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Infosec is about fixing things and securing things that you know about.... The CCNA will teach you networking skills and you can build on that. For example if I asked you what is the difference between DHCP and Static and how can I find the external and internal IP address of a user can you answer those in a interview?

I say this because anyone in infosec will tell you.... you have to know how something works before you can fix it. Networking is part of security.
    So let me clarify.

Yes. I have set up DHCP servers and static IP's. I know a decent amount of networking; at least enough for my job.

I would like to be a bit more knowledgeable with OSPF and RGP specifics, but my job does not get that technical. That is why I had thought of the CCNA, but the ROI might not be in my favor for that specific cert.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PUNISH wrote: »
    So let me clarify.

Yes. I have set up DHCP servers and static IP's. I know a decent amount of networking; at least enough for my job.

I would like to be a bit more knowledgeable with OSPF and RGP specifics, but my job does not get that technical. That is why I had thought of the CCNA, but the ROI might not be in my favor for that specific cert.

Since you already have the CISSP *congrats* then you can either go for the CCNA.... OR try to get a different infosec cert like the GSEC or something along those lines. A good place to look is the infosec forum..... that should give you a pretty good Idea on where to go next...

Again congrats on your CISSP.... I know you were happy when you got it.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say that CCNA-level knowledge is almost necessary for a lot mid level or higher IT positions. If your experience trumps this and you're not going into networking then you can possibly skip it
    Well I guess I will pass on the CCNA. I just don't see my self breaking into networking to the level where I would be programming switches for routing efficiency or anything of that nature.

I will take the advice and continue with sec certs. I will get the ISSAP to solidify my infosec knowledge and possibly shoot for some GSEC certs (money permitting).

Anyone have any advice on the most logical (technical) cert after CISSPISSAP?
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only suggestion I'd make is to maybe pass the CCENT and then move to CCNA Security and up that ladder if you want to stay on the technical side, otherwise look at SANS and maybe take a GIAC/GCIH type course+test for certification (if your work will pay, they're 5k+ each)
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could just purchase a certification book for ccna and use it for some casual reading
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CCNA is always a good choice in IT... well, nearly always.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM