Help Desk Career Move....

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just heard back from the manager and they did not feel I was ready for a Sys Engineer/Sysops role. BUT they may have a opening right now in Georgia for the same job that I am doing now. The one thing I like about this company is they WANT you to get ahead and move up. As people move up more jobs become available. I really like this company because of the good atmosphere, good people, and opportunity to move up.
I feel that I will take the job because even though its the same job I am doing now.... I will be challenged with new stuff to do. I feel I am not ready for a sysops, sys eng role as of yet.... and I still have some learning to do.

What are some things I need to study and focus on to be a Sys Engineer or work with Sys Ops? I currently am studying Linux because that is a part of the job they do. As well as Microsoft.
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where are you based right now, just out of curiosity?
    Would working in Georgia be an inconvenience?

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Benj94 wrote: »
    Where are you based right now, just out of curiosity?
    Would working in Georgia be an inconvenience?

Im working and living in Virginia...
    Working in Georgia would be a great move for me and I really would enjoy it. They want to have me move up within the company and that is hard to find in many IT jobs. Im currently on a contract that ends at the end of this month.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Really you need to get more server experience and/or certifications if you want to move into Sys Admin / Ops. Unfortunately just like getting your foot into the door in IT - every job you will apply for requires sys admin experience yet you cannot get experience without someone giving you a break.

I've found doing your best to get some microsoft certifications can be the best route. That with a break from your employer can get your foot into the door. Since you are interested in sys admin stuff I would work on your MCSA 2012.
  • jerseytechjerseytech Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    Really you need to get more server experience and/or certifications if you want to move into Sys Admin / Ops. Unfortunately just like getting your foot into the door in IT - every job you will apply for requires sys admin experience yet you cannot get experience without someone giving you a break.

I've found doing your best to get some microsoft certifications can be the best route. That with a break from your employer can get your foot into the door. Since you are interested in sys admin stuff I would work on your MCSA 2012.

Not entirely true. You can get experience doing labs and home and put it on your resume.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »

Where I want to be is Pentester/Network Security. I am looking to get into a sys admin role then move to a Pentester role after that. I am studying Linux and python currently.... and im learning all I can from the infosec part of the forum
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If pen testing is your end goal then start pen testing. There is no better way to learn then doing it.

Get a distro of Kali and start with nmap, metasploit and wire shark.

Lookup YouTube tutorials, forums and the metasploit site and you will progressively learn everything you need to know.

I struggled trying to learn this and that and this.... before I just said "screw it, I'm just gonna start hacking."

I learned metasploit and the air crack -ng suite and have had a blast!
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a similar experience recently. Interviewed for "Systems Engineer" offered help desk due to lack of server experience. I decided to stay where I am. I am of course full time employed here. If I was on a contract I'd probably have jumped ship