Options

Defeated.

StillStreamStillStream Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Failed with a 580. By question 50, I knew I was screwed. Felt like all the studying I did was for nothing. Very few topics I studied for showed up on the exam. This weekend blows already.

Comments

• Options
    djasonslickdjasonslick Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shoot. I know the feeling man. Try to dust yourself off take a week or two away and then get back on the horse. I'm looking at it as a process. The feeling of failing sucks bad but after a week or so try to appreciate how much you've learned/gained and go back at it. We'll get there!
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's your education/professional experience? What did you use to study? Which domains were your weakest?

I know you're down right now but there's a lot of knowledge on these boards and hopefully we can help point you in the right direction to fill in those gaps.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Felt like all the studying I did was for nothing. This weekend blows already.

Don't say that... Nothing we ever do is for nothing! We all fall down, but you got to get back up and try again. Go back over the videos and notes you made... Did you get the print out that showed the weak areas? if you did use that sheet to focus on those areas....

Beer will make your weekend better.... go ahead and have a few, kick back in your fav chair, relax and watch your fav show or play some video games then get back into the game....

You got this! Your next thread will be a "I passed" Thread.. Have faith in yourself and your abilities icon_thumright.gif
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    The printer at the testing site was busted so I don't even have my score report. I'll have to get it on Monday. Used the Sybex 7th Edition, Army CISSP notes, Kelly Handerhan videos, CCCure and Sybex questions. Haven't felt this upset in a very long time.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its going to take 3-4 tries.

I am on my third attempt.

1 attempt = 669
    2 attempt = 695 <--- yes seriously by 5 points!

Now I have to wait 90 days! to retake! I cannot retake it until Aug 12th icon_sad.gif

I used, sybex 7th, CCCure, Cybrary, McGraw Hill free online questions, sybex online free test questions, sunflower pdf.

I think you should really ask yourself if you tried to get by this exam by memorizing study questions from CCCure or other test questions. I truthfully and knowingly went to my first attempt by just reading the sybex book and trying to memorize the practice questions from CCCure. I did not fully attempt to truly understand the concepts and ideas of the domains. On my second attempt I made all attempts to truly understand and get the concepts down. I did not pass but I felt i may have rushed a few questions and well failing by 5 points is totally my fault on being impatient and not necessarily not understanding the material.

have to wait 90 days....over 5 points......seriously......ahhhhhhhh!!!!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's cool. Many fail their 1st attempt. Get back to studies. Persistence will pay off if you don't give up.

Also, experience helps. This 5 years requirement isn't just for giggles.
  • Options
    sp129sp129 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't feel bad dude. I failed today too, first attempt. I realize my mistake was focusing too much on domains I was weak on prior to taking the test, therefore lacking the knowledge or remembering the other domain contents, and heavily relying on the practice tests.

I got a 600. So I'm still going to thoroughly review -everything-.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a 690. I think I spelled my name wrong and they graded me on that...
  • Options
    musclegenesismusclegenesis Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @chrisone

I come from a CCNP background so I am curious to know if you passed through the Network and Telecom arena. I feel like Security Architecture is my weakest point?

Did you read the 11th hour Eric Conrad book by any chance?
  • Options
    So, my new plan is to go after the CASP and then the CISSP again. I may go through a Boot Camp for it this time.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience and understanding of concepts are key to passing CISSP exam.

Do not underestimate CASP exam. The simulations can be brutal.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know how you feel My first time taking the test I scored a 694 and then I revamped my study method took it again and passed. Try reading the Eric Conrad book 3rd edition. Literally everything on my test I remembered being in the book. Also the Transcenders is a better test bank IMO.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/game-plan-beat-cissp-craig-myers-cissp-itil?trk=pulse_spock-articles Check out my write up on the CISSP Game plan you might find it helpful
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @chrisone

I come from a CCNP background so I am curious to know if you passed through the Network and Telecom arena. I feel like Security Architecture is my weakest point?

Did you read the 11th hour Eric Conrad book by any chance?

Yeah the networking and telecom areas were a breeze and those catergories were my best for obvious reasons lol

It is just a different animal to tackle if you come from a networking background. It helps to have our background in many ways but just need to really understand the security theories and concepts.

I did not read the 11th hour book.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hang in there everyone, it can be done....
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

Samuel Beckett
  • Options
    wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have failed countless exams by a couple of points. The feeling is awful... with that being said, you know you will pass it in a matter of time. Fast forward, I did.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did the boot camp initially, and I can tell you this, SAVE your money. After failing CISSP for the 2nd time, I stopped and took a break. I went for the SSCP instead, and passed that on the first try. Since you are ALMOST there, there's really no need, however I think the key is to add new materials to your studying.

Adding Transcender help me out big time on my 3rd attempt, which helped me to pass.

One of the key thing to remember when taking that exam is to read the answers first, then read the last sentence or two of the question. This is because most questions have a lot of fluff at the beginning. If the answer doesn't immediately pop out at you, mark it and move on to the next.

Another thing to remember in studying for ANY cert. You have to go over the material at least 3 times completely, before you should attempt to take the test. Now since you have multiple books, I'd start with the AIO 6th edition. Don't get me wrong, Conrad's book is good, but doesn't go as in depth as AIO. Yes it's a hell of a lot of material to go through. Take note of anything in the AIO of questions that could potentially be in a graphic on a question as well.
  • Options
    mich12mich12 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like your humour I got 673 21st July Thursday Last week!. Having read Sybex 7th Edition cover to cover in my view unfortunately I neglected all information I had like Shon Harris, Official CBK book.
    Wanted to certify before my birthday yesterday but failed!!! I've resumed studies again
  • Options
    mubashir@engineer.commubashir@engineer.com Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Chrisone, hard luck but on 12th August you will do it.
  • Options
    So far, CASP studying is going slowly but surely. I hope to be prepared by the end of the month. Then, I'll go back to CISSP. Still feel salty about failing it.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So far, CASP studying is going slowly but surely. I hope to be prepared by the end of the month. Then, I'll go back to CISSP. Still feel salty about failing it.

I didnt prepare as much for the CASP as I did the CISSP, but I thought the test was just as challenging.
  • Options
    matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, I come from a Network/Telecom Management arena. Here's my story. I took a 6 week CCNA boot camp. 8 hrs/day, access to real routers/switches, the whole 9 yards. I failed my CCNA the first time. CISSP - I took a 9 day boot camp. Took the test the following Monday and passed. My personal opinion, I'd take another ISC2 test any day over a Cisco test (passed my CCNP Route today BTW)... I think that ISC2 does a very good job of testing what you actually know versus "gotcha" type questions. I really think that everyone's strengths are different. I've met some that thought CCNA was cake and CISSP was the 9th layer of hell. Personally for me, CCNA was tougher. As far as value added, I am very happy with the CISSP curriculum. It is very broad, but really tests your exposure to everthing vs. 1 niche area. Great for IT / Security Managers...