Options

How do you describe your job to laymen?

2»

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I babysit grown men, haha, that's my new answer.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I don't. I just tell people whatver...I say things like I work in 'finance' or 'marketing' ...or whatever.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I really hated when my Wife (or family) would ask me to fix anything computer related, whenever I had trouble fixing it, she nag me, your in computers, if you can't fix I'll take it to someone that can. Trying to explain to someone that configuring network switches and firewalls is so much more complex then working on a MAC is like talking to a wall. They think because your a higher level computer guy, you should have a foundation where you know how to fix everything less completed, even if they haven't been invented yet.

I like the response I watch Youtube videos all day. Which isn't too far from the reality, I keep the network running so everyone else in the company can watch youtube all day.
    Trucido wrote: »
    icon_biggrin.gif Nobody does any troubleshooting before calling the help desk.

What's help desk? When a user has an issue, they call you directly because you helped them fix something before. When you try to explain to them they have to call help desk you can't fix that, (usually it has to do you not having access to do so) they give you an attitude like your blowing them off because you do want to help them.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    revbox wrote: »

I love when he rearranged the icons and the guy freaked.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I said I work on networks, they thought I meant tv stations
    When I said I work in security, they thought I was a mall cop.
    When I say I fix computers, they say I thought you did network security.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was help desk I would tell people I was a janitor as it was mostly true anyhow. People make a mess and I have to clean it up. In my current position I leave it at I'm an investigator with the State and deal with gambling. At worst people complain that they get screwed and loss money, at best they ask what game is best go play to win.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    On word... "Applications"
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I love when he rearranged the icons and the guy freaked.

I was lmfao the entire video. I never seen that before its dated but yet still relevant lol.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I do plumbing work for data... and NO I will not fix your computer.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since its too costly to actually explain: I am a IT Forensic Security Investigator specializing in Healthcare. I tell people the following.

I walk old ladies halfway across the street.
    I tie your shoe laces together
    I put that 'Kick Me!" sign on your back.

-or-

I get up every day with the same question:

Am I going to be the man of International Mystery or the Man from La Mancha?

Rarely, do I get a follow up question after that.

I am... A security person.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whenever I tell anyone I'm in IT Security, most of the time I get "Oh, so you your one of those people behind the cameras and watch everyone on a bunch of screens?"

Close enough for me... I work at large "gaming" enterprise
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I manage data and then they look at me like I have two heads.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I watch status bars..... :)
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rick.bates wrote: »
    I'm a "Data Plumber". Crap goes in one end and I make sure it comes out the other.
    You waited 7 years to post this?
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Trying to explain to someone that configuring network switches and firewalls is so much more complex then working on a MAC is like talking to a wall. They think because your a higher level computer guy, you should have a foundation where you know how to fix everything less completed, even if they haven't been invented yet.

Yep.... then you become the tech support of your SO family like I am... everyone calls me when something goes wrong. Then if I can't fix it then its "well you are supposed to know and blah blah blah blah"
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Yep.... then you become the tech support of your SO family like I am... everyone calls me when something goes wrong.

My sister's computer stopped working a few years back and she called me. I told her the power supply was probably bad, but she didn't want to believe me. She thought there was a surge or lightning strike and her phone charger that was plugged into the same power strip still worked, so the power supply of the computer couldn't possibly be bad.

She ended up taking it to a computer repair shop and they told her the power supply was bad.