Options

Need Advice: Accepted job offer then received another.

zafeer20zafeer20 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am in a sticky situation, I have received a job offer which I orginally accepted as I just wanted to get out of my current position. I have just received another offer (about 2 days from originally accepting the first) and it is about 20% in more pay. Now I know I signed papers and all but would it possible/smart for me to contact my recruiter to re-negotiate/compromise? I don't want the other position for a few reasons and want to work with whom I accepted.

Thanks to all for the help/advice.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a difficult situation, if you were still negotiating you'd have a leg to stand on, or if you wanted to go to the other company you could just go over. But you'd want to tell them that you were OK with the agreement 2 days ago but suddenly you are worth 20% more, to another company that you don't want to work for?

Unless someone else knows a way around that I think you're just going to deal with it, or go to the other company. I'm not saying you can't try go build in some kind of time line for evaluations or whatever but just pushing for 20% more 2 days later is a hard sell.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed with Danielm7. Trying to renegotiate an offer you already accepted it going to be really rough--if you try you may tick off the employer and they could rescind the offer and then you're stuck with 2 options in which you don't like either one.

Try to forget you received that 2nd offer and move forward with the one you've already accepted and do an awesome job there and earn a raise/promotion.

Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sure you could be making 20% more, however, who's to say in a few months to a years time you won't be making that or more in the company you already signed with?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Going back to the negotiation table with company that you've accepted an offer with will only tell them your not exactly in it for the long haul. Here today gone tomorrow. HR will simply tell the hiring manager to drop you as a candidate and continue to move or wait for you to find the next better offer and leave.

Missing details here include contract or permanent? Benefits, to include PTO and 401k? Those hidden goodies can add up and add up fast. Something else to think about - comparing workplaces, supervisors, training opportunities and organizational culture. These things can add up to a lot more job satisfaction over time than a difference in pay.

Money is good but only when you can make the opportunity last long enough to make it worthwhile.

- b/eads
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I would think long and hard before passing on a 20% raise. But, if that is the right choice (and sometimes it is), I don't think it's wise to re-open negotiations with the other company once an offer is accepted. If they don't match or even budge, it will be an uncomfortable situation for all involved.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the end you have to look out for you #1 which is you. If you feel like the 20% increase is worth it than by all means go for it. Also make sure it's a job you want as well besides the pay. If it was the other way around the employer would have no problem rescinding the offer. Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Yeah I wasn't expecting to receive another offer but job # 1 is next to my university and promised me growth the other is 10 minutes away from home but the company layover is questionable. I was thinking about just calling the recruiter as he is not directly affliated with job # 1 he just works for an IT staffing firm and letting him know of my "unique" situation.
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Going back to the negotiation table with company that you've accepted an offer with will only tell them your not exactly in it for the long haul. Here today gone tomorrow. HR will simply tell the hiring manager to drop you as a candidate and continue to move or wait for you to find the next better offer and leave.

Missing details here include contract or permanent? Benefits, to include PTO and 401k? Those hidden goodies can add up and add up fast. Something else to think about - comparing workplaces, supervisors, training opportunities and organizational culture. These things can add up to a lot more job satisfaction over time than a difference in pay.

Money is good but only when you can make the opportunity last long enough to make it worthwhile.

- b/eads

To be honest, I am a full time student living with my parents, the only benefits I care about would be tuition reimbursement and paying for certifications. I know job # 2 does not offer that as I couldn't find it on the benefits pdf, it is also a perm position. Job # 1 will be 6 months to perm, after 6 months I will have a salary increase and benefits.
  • Options
    Agreed with Danielm7. Trying to renegotiate an offer you already accepted it going to be really rough--if you try you may tick off the employer and they could rescind the offer and then you're stuck with 2 options in which you don't like either one.

Try to forget you received that 2nd offer and move forward with the one you've already accepted and do an awesome job there and earn a raise/promotion.

Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    Haha I will try my best to forget it, I would never expect to be in this situation lol.

Thanks!