Upgrade path to get MCSA from MCDST

samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently hold a MCDST: Desktop Support Technician on Windows XP and looking to upgrade to a MCSA, either windows 10 OR windows server 2012. Preferably Server 2012 though. I notice that there is a Exam-417 Upgrading your Skills to Windows Server 2012. Do i qualify as a MCSA if i take this exam or is that not an upgrade option from the MCDST XP?

Not sure if there is any more information that would be required for you to give your opinion on this subject, if anything additional is needed, please just ask.

Thank you,
Sam.
[Currently Studying : MCSA: Server 2012/MCSA: Windows 8]
[Currently Reading: ]
[Current Qualifications: MCP, MCDST, A+, Network+]

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    No upgrade path from the mcdst cert with the upgrade exam. You'll need to take the 3 individual tests.

If you had the mcitp enterprise desktop administrator cert you could.
  • samuel235235235samuel235235235 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahh right okay, thank you for your advice MeanDrunkR2D2 icon_thumright.gif
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I think you can, actually. MCDST: Windows XP is on the list of certifications which can be upgraded to MCSA Server 2012 using the 70-417 exam. I'd suggest a call to Microsoft to confirm.

There is also the option to do 70-692 to upgrade to MCSA Windows 8, which is then a one exam upgrade to MCSA Windows 10.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I think you can, actually. MCDST: Windows XP is on the list of certifications which can be upgraded to MCSA Server 2012 using the 70-417 exam. I'd suggest a call to Microsoft to confirm.

There is also the option to do 70-692 to upgrade to MCSA Windows 8, which is then a one exam upgrade to MCSA Windows 10.

This is exactly why i had to ask the question. I didn't understand how you could get from MCDST: Desktop to a MCSA: Server, hence why i decided to ask the question.....
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yeah, I'm not 100% certain on what the MCDST is (a bit before I became interested), but if it is like the MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator, it would contain some server knowledge since it is about integrating into a Windows enterprise infrastructure. The MCITP EDA can also be upgraded to Server 2012 through the 70-417 exam.

If you still have access to the MCP portal, I think you can check in there what paths are available based on your current certifications.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    I do have access and have been using it the last couple of days but i'm yet to find any sort of exam path suggestion or anything like your advising. Do you happen to remember where about in the MCP area it is?
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not 100% certain on what the MCDST is (a bit before I became interested), but if it is like the MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator, it would contain some server knowledge since it is about integrating into a Windows enterprise infrastructure. The MCITP EDA can also be upgraded to Server 2012 through the 70-417 exam..

MCDST was a 2-part Windows XP support exam pair, somewhat but not exactly similar to the Windows 7 780 + 785.

And when I started my MCSA 2012 path, the windows 7 EDST wasn't part of the upgrade options (780/785 wasn't, 780/786 WAS), and the MCDST definitely wasn't. I had both so I would have been interested is such things ;)
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    What is your take on the read Piers? Would you think i'de be safe to start studying the 70-417 or would you think i'de need to go down the 3 exam route of 70-410, 70-411 and 70-412?
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check here to see if it's an option
    https://mycertificationplanner.one.microsoft.com/
    and perhaps email someone at MS to double check. I haven't done an upgrade exam since the 682 exam to upgrade MCDST to Win7, I'm not sure if it allows you to select an upgrade exam without the proper requirements

But honestly, unless you have a lot of server experience currently, if you haven't gotten anything since XP, an all-in-one exam would be *extremely* difficult, you have to score 700 in each category or it's a fail.
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
    I dropped them an email this morning funny enough, I might ring their free phone number tomorrow or just wait for an answer.

Is the 417 exam pretty much the three exams crammed into one? Does this mean less questions on each section compared to a full exam on each section? Obviously not easier, in fact harder to study and prep for, right?
    I dropped them an email this morning funny enough, I might ring their free phone number tomorrow or just wait for an answer.

Is the 417 exam pretty much the three exams crammed into one? Does this mean less questions on each section compared to a full exam on each section? Obviously not easier, in fact harder to study and prep for, right?

I have the 70-417 scheduled for a week from this Friday and I will be honest, I've had to process a HUGE amount of information. Some of it ties in with the other sections, but I need to be very comfy with those concepts at a deeper level. I've been studying now for almost 6 months. I started off thinking that I'd just do the 3 individual tests, but with the Booster pack I decided since I have 4 retakes I'll take the gamble on the 417 instead. The amount of labbing I've done so far has been crazy. From my understanding there are 3 sections around ~20ish questions each and once you finish a section you cannot go back. And if you fail one section, you fail the entire test. (so even if you get 90% right in 2 sections but score less than passing for the 3rd, it's a fail)

MS changed the upgrade paths, which is why I wasn't aware that the MCDST could be upgraded with that exam.
    I've just received a reply from Microsoft, i can confirm we can upgrade from MCDST:XP to a MCSA: Server 2012.

I'll be honest, i'm not too sure what route to go, 1 combined exam (417) or to tale the 3 individual tests now that i know you have to pass each section rather than just an overall score.
    That was my initial concern as I was reluctant to drop $150 (soon to be $165) for one chance at the exam. The 4 retakes with teh booster pack made my mind up for me to know that even if I fail, I have more chances to take the exam and when I get my scores back I know what exactly to focus on if I fail a part.
    I'm just a little worried that the amount of information i need to take in might be a little overwhelming and put me off half way down the line, even though i could just go and sit the singles individually at that point. Just thinking ahead in case i lose my sanity and get in that depressed state of mind haha.