Options

One Man Show

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They also preach work-life balance, flexible time-off, etc. The director even said if I took 2 weeks off for whatever and everything was good, I could take a 3rd week off if I wanted. I am pretty easy going and polite to customers/end-users etc, so I hope they were able to see that.

On a side note, wtf...When I came in today my desk was tossed like someone was looking for something. Just realized as I went to go get my food, that someone stole it. Who does that? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    They stole your food (like your sandwich, the scene from Friends? ) Seriously, how rude.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MY SANDWICH!!!?? icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I mean I'm not going to go mental like Ross did, but it's just another weird thing.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    MY SANDWICH!!!?? icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I mean I'm not going to go mental like Ross did, but it's just another weird thing.

This is why you leave a special bowl of "chocolates" on your desk.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks.

I don't understand their line of thinking. I think what they want is a rockstar senior level net/sys/infosec admin to work for 50k a year (with no benefits) and work 65 hours a week. I have to get out of here quickly.

Your english speaking has an affect on this as well...
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    This is why you leave a special bowl of "chocolates" on your desk.

icon_lol.gif I totally should
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like it's time for a company wide "WHO STOLE MY SAMMICH" email.
  • Options
    Well, scratch my last in person interview from my list as there were 'better fits' for their company. Oh well, it would have been a good place to work, but the other interviews i have are definitely more promising and in line with the direction I want to go.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How long you been in this cesspool?
  • Options
    @MeanDrunk - Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. But sounds like you have better jobs that you're pursuing.
    How long you been in this cesspool?

Late May/Early June. I started applying to places about a month or so ago though.
  • Options
    Deliver some pies until you get a real gig. If you play it right you can get free beer and pizza every night and tips are not taxed. Just saying.....

Just make sure to jog at night so you don't get huge.
  • Options
    I unfortunately can't afford a paycut with my wife in school and two kids. My only option would be lie my ass off to VMware then burn a bridge when I get a security job a couple weeks later.
  • Options
    VMWare wants to hire you?
  • Options
    That's where I worked before, but I left because all I did was troubleshoot Horizon/View. I've been in touch with them for security jobs, but the only role available is my old one. I told him no a few months ago because it's just a dead-end for my career.
  • Options
    VMWare then bounce........
  • Options
    It's pretty shady to do that. I already told my boss I wanted a security role. So then I'd say "Oh wait just kidding, I want to come back!" then it could be a week in and I quit for a security job. I'd definitely lose a reference at that point.
  • Options
    Agreed. You have a good relationship with them right now and you could play that out for a longer time frame and they may end up with a position that you would love. If you jump after going back, especially for a very short stint, you will destroy that bridge and ruin any potential future job with them.
  • Options
    @MeanDrunk - Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. But sounds like you have better jobs that you're pursuing.

I do, and better than this one. So I'll just work hard and hopefully the one I really want will pan out and I get the opportunity.
  • Options
    How long were you at VMWare to begin with?
  • Options
    7 months about. I told them I wanted to get into their security department when I got hired. They laid off 1000 employees and started outsourcing their security so it wasn't going to happen.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Not a good idea to go back to your old job at VMWare, if you think you are going to leave again. That is burning a bridge big time. Just my 2.5 cent. icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Although you're in Colorado there still might be legal ramifications for those 'special chocolates'. That would be funny to see the office in that mindset though.

I wouldn't go back to VMware in your case. I know your current position isn't a positive reinforcement but I wouldn't rule out a systems or network positions with an SMB that has little security involvement. Given my experience, SMB's can often be convinced to take some security measures with very little effort. This is a win-win, the company gets more secure and you get some valuable experience implementing security solutions which leads to higher level security positions. Which is a lot more exciting and rewarding than log diving like most entry-level security positions.

I'm hiring for a role that has this potential plus a lot more...
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While those chocolates would probably mellow things out a bit, I was referring to the type of chocolates that once taken tend to confine you to a restroom.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Although you're in Colorado there still might be legal ramifications for those 'special chocolates'. That would be funny to see the office in that mindset though.

I wouldn't go back to VMware in your case. I know your current position isn't a positive reinforcement but I wouldn't rule out a systems or network positions with an SMB that has little security involvement. Given my experience, SMB's can often be convinced to take some security measures with very little effort. This is a win-win, the company gets more secure and you get some valuable experience implementing security solutions which leads to higher level security positions. Which is a lot more exciting and rewarding than log diving like most entry-level security positions.

I'm hiring for a role that has this potential plus a lot more...

I'm open to that also. It doesn't have to be a 100% pure security role. It just depends on the mindset of the place. This one for example doesn't seem to care about compliance like it should. Not sure why you'd sign a federal contract if so, but that's about par for the course.

Where is this role at?
  • Options
    Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This actually is the exact position I am in now. I got hired about 3 weeks ago, started 2 weeks ago after sitting for and passing Security+...I have a lengthy time of experience in Networks and network security. but the guy who hired me just *LEFT* 2 days prior to me starting...so I am here alone, with no "passing of the torch" per se, and I like it. I am not bothered by many I have to maintain two separate offices about 15 miles apart in Atlanta. Total computers are around 200 give or take that I manage from my office and/or sometimes from my house. After learning the network and the way the previous guy setup AD. (Which is obvious he was lost as to what he was doing.) It's not so bad. It's going to help you a crap load in the long run. You're going to get exposure to more things and not have a team to fall back on. I like cohesiveness and working in a team environment. But I also feel comfortable and confident being the only person in the IT department, and taking on the Administrator role. Let me know if you need any help with issues. shoot me a PM. Welcome to the Solo club LOL. icon_cheers.gif
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • Options
    The technical part of it where there are some unknowns and things not organized I can deal with. If the environment was healthy and they were trying to hire people (doing it the correct way), I could definitely be okay for the moment. It's the fact that it's such a toxic (as other people said) environment with very poor management.

They're going to eventually find someone that completely fabricated their resume that hasn't the first clue how to run an environment because they don't have anyone technical interview them.
  • Options
    You seem like a good guy, I worry about those short termed efforts.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Mark I have my Horizon support interview at VMware this coming week. I am hoping eventually to move into networking. Is it easy to move within VMware? Either way I would be taking the position because for my career it would be a huge step in the right direction.
  • Options
    Sent you a PM.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Mark

Check on indeed, search for "CCNP" and use a location of "Remote". There is a secure works remote position open that may work for you. I would link it, but I don't want to be browsing job posting sites at work at my new job :)