Options

Should I take the job with Cisco?

NetworkEngineer2016NetworkEngineer2016 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is a throwaway account for obvious reasons but I just needed some career advice. So I just got offered a job with Cisco as a NCE and I don't know if I should take it. I just graduated college this past year and I have been working with my current company for 8 months now.

I have always dreamed of working as an NCE for Cisco but not this early in my career. I wasn't looking for jobs but when a recruiter from Cisco contacted me I figured that I'd apply. I really didn't think I was gonna get the job at all but now that I did, I need to decide whether or not I should take it.

My current company has been very good to me. They have sent me to a lot of training classes and are even sending me to Cisco Live next week (which I would give up to another employee if given the job). It's just that there is a 30% pay increase at Cisco and the benefits are just so much better. And let's not forget the fact that they will support me in getting my CCIE which I want very badly.

Any advice??

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If networking is your career path, there isn't a more noticeable employer for you to put on your resume than Cisco. While your current employer has been very good to you, a 30% pay raise to work for them seems to be a no brainer to me. The experience you gain there will be incredible and chances are you may see things at a deeper level than most outside the company will notice.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Cisco is a nice name to have on your resume, but I wouldn't just drop a good job for it. If you like what you do now and your company takes care of you then no reason the jump ship in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yea I really do enjoy what I do now. I'm pretty much a Network Engineer working with many different kinds of technologies. Loyalty is a big thing to me too which is why I'm having such a difficult time deciding on what to do.

@NetworkNewb - It's on the top end of that list. Again I would have never imagined getting a job like this at such an early stage in my career. I really just don't want to seem ungrateful for everything my managers have done for me up to this point.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not everyone get's contacted to work for Cisco, in the field of choice that Cisco is king. Especially fresh out of school. Let's just say this.. would you rather say in 10 years..

"I gave up a chance to work for a market leader, take a 30% raise, with better benefits, to work for Cisco an employer that once I am with, would give me instant credibility for other networking positions in my future because I have experience from the belly of the beast"

or

"The company I was with fresh out of college was nice to me for 8 months, so I chose to pass up a helluva an opportunity because it's unexpected and things are 'nice' right now."

I will say this.. if you are a good worker, no one at your company will question you (no one sane) for taking the opportunity to learn and work for Cisco. Hell, you may even be able to go back in the future. I would go with your brain on this one. Think it through. Logically speaking what would provide the best benefits for yourself, not just now, but 5-10 years down the line. If you are going to bust your tail, and be the best employee and Networking person you can be... which one will provide you access and resources to go further?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's on the top end of that list.

Yea, zero question, would jump then! icon_thumright.gif I would guarantee your managers would understand, or at least they should.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, be aware, I believe that Cisco usually includes language in the partner agreement that they will not hire employees of their partners for 6 months after they separate. If your current company is a Cisco partner, you should look into that before making a decision.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I agree with MOW, definitely make sure its a 100% deal, don't put in a 2 weeks until they have a starting date for you. But yeah, I am a loyalty kind of guy too, I get it, but when opportunity comes a knockin, and its legit, you don't just cower behind the door until it leaves.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was In a similar Position at this Security company been there for 8 months they sent me to classes trained me, gave me a opportunity when i got out of the military. A company that i didn't think i was going to get the job with offered me a 46% raise and way better benefits. I talked to my team leader about IT he asked me this ? what is best for you and your family (Im 8 weeks away from my first Kid) I told him the pay raise and better benefits is best for me an my family he said well you have your answer.

Also where else will you get experience like Cisco and im sure there will be so much knowledge you can gleam. There is a member her who works at Cisco you should try to find her I think her name is Iristheangel
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let's see...

- Cisco, easily the most recognized name in network engineering
    - Planning to take the CCIE (for which there are many resources and benefits provided by Cisco)
    - 30% pay increase
    - Better benefits
    - Always dreamed of having this job

Versus:
    - Early in the career
    - Current company is nice

Take the Cisco job.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it was a 30% raise that the acme company I could understand staying. I wouldn't think twice about going to Cisco with that raise.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Agree with Aftereffector. The hardest part of Cisco is getting into Cisco. Once you're there, there's many paths to travel. The one thing I've noticed is that in an average partner or enterprise, there's a glass ceiling... you move up as an engineer and you're forced to make a move into management to get more $$, prestige, etc. At Cisco (and I assume other vendors as well), there are roles that are director-grade and require no managing a team - purely technical, architectural, etc. That glass ceiling where you eventually have to sit tight or pivot your career to management doesn't exist.

As far as someone mentioning the partner agreement, that's a bit of an iffy one. Sometimes if the management is cool in both companies, it's something you can get by but Cisco definitely cannot proactively poach per that agreement. It's one of those things that everyone has to agree to and it's usually a no-go because if the employee is amazing, the management at the partner company doesn't want to drop the.

Another thing that might be something to consider is the ASE program if you're straight out of college... They basically pay to train you for a year straight, have you be a virtual SE for another year, and then you apply for gigs in the company on the third year. It's for people who graduated in the last 2 years and a good way to get in if you don't feel ready for a full blown NCE role.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    t's just that there is a 30% pay increase at Cisco and the benefits are just so much better. And let's not forget the fact that they will support me in getting my CCIE which I want very badly.

Any advice??

TAKE THE JOB!!!! Why would you NOT take the job.... besides its Cisco.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It seems like the general consensus is to take the job. I guess i'll have a chat with my manager this week. It sucks to have to give up Cisco Live though haha.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for all the advice! It seems like the general consensus is to take the job. I guess i'll have a chat with my manager this week. It sucks to have to give up Cisco Live though haha.

Heh, I'm sure the training and stuff you'll get from Cisco will make up for it in spades icon_cool.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like a great opportunity!!! Go for it!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Do it. Get this experience while you are young it will be very valuable.
  • Options
    jerseytechjerseytech Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, you want to be a top notch Network Engineer and you just got offered a job at Cisco. WHY WOULDN'T YOU TAKE IT!!
  • Options
    jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It might feel like you're abandoning your current company for another but sometimes you just have to answer the door when opportunity knocks. I've been around the block and yes it sucks to bounce after 8 months but Cisco is a name and a leader in the networking field and it sounds like you already made up your mind. If the benefits are a lot better (medical/dental/training/401k) then take it and build yourself up while at Cisco.
  • Options
    junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    this guy should be received some beautiful words such as "you're MTF or FU Stup**" so that he could realize that he should take that job as soon as he got the offer from Cisco :D
  • Options
    edwilliamskyedwilliamsky Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to regurgitate the party line here, but...Think, McFly! Go directly to Cisco, do not pass Go, DO collect another 30%. You won't regret it, and you'll open many career opportunities for your future.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    My thought is, you're current employer will cut you lose with a moments notice if they ever deem it in their best interest. I understand wanting to feel loyal, but this is such a great opportunity and is in your best interest to pursue it, so I would not pass it up.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Honestly, I would take the job. No matter how early on in your career you are, I would jump at a chance like that.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle