Options

pen test course help!

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm taking the ePTS course and cannot for the life of me figure out how to install open VPN on Kali.

I need literally step by step instructions lol.

I can download the tar, but I cannot open it or anything.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They've included a lab setup manual with step by step instructions called "Hera Manual" on the "Instructions" tab of the lab section.
    DDStime wrote: »
    I can download the tar, but I cannot open it or anything.

I suggest you brush up on your Linux 101 before starting this course. LinuxAcademy.com is a good resource.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    They've included a lab setup manual with step by step instructions called "Hera Manual" on the "Instructions" tab of the lab section.

I suggest you brush up on your Linux 101 before starting this course. LinuxAcademy.com is a good resource.
    Lol

I did!

Nothing in the manual or video cover installation. It simply says "install open VPN" and then goes into credentials management.

Can I simply sudo apt-get install openvpn?

I'm not at my Linux box so I'll have to do it later tonight?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What version of Kali are you using? YMMV but I use Rolling and OpenVPN comes preinstalled.

Download the cert and lab file. Then trying to use "Openvpn lab_replacethiuswithlabfilename" - making sure you are in the same folder as the download files.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing in the manual or video cover installation.

Installing software and unpackaging tarballs is Linux 101 which is why they are not covered in the eLearnSecurity course. I would strongly recommend that you brush up on your Linux skills before starting the course.

Can I simply sudo apt-get install openvpn

Yes and make sure you reboot.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    openvpn is already installed on kali.....
    apt-get install openvpn

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Ya, I sudo apt-get...and it was already installed ha ha.

Ran through the first couple labs...pretty good so far.
  • Options
    RitualRitual Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im suddenly feeling much more confidant in starting the eJPt course. Thank you.

icon_lol.gif
    2016 goals - eJPT, MCSA Windows 10, something Linux
  • Options
    Ritual wrote: »
    Im suddenly feeling much more confidant in starting the eJPt course. Thank you.

icon_lol.gif
    Tell me about it. I'm a win ADM with ZERO linux boxes in my enterprise.

Its like being a professional football player and learning to ice skate ha ha.

Its fun, but a pretty large learning gap. Its funny because I can use all of the tools in Kali, but I get stuck on the most simple stuff. I only learn the things I like, so I kinda skipped Linux fundamentals....bad idea icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Learning how to use grep on a basic level along with piping things will really help you out with the course. You don't have to do it but it's a lot better than searching through stuff that you don't need.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I agree with iBrokeIT you should brush up on your Linux skills. At the least take Linux Essentials training or some training on Udemy. Nearly every attack tool you will use is in Linux.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    "win ADM with ZERO linux boxes in my enterprise"

That was me a number of years ago. Trust me, spend the time now getting familiar with Linux. You can thank me later.