Options

Passed with similar feedback to mayacosta78

amber27amber27 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
OMG. I will need a lot of time to recover from that - I cannot believe I passed. The mix of emotions I had experienced during that exam should only ever be experienced at big life events. I think my background is important - I have no networking experience (and no natural inclination towards technology), but do have operational security experience (have been involved in risk assessments reviewing and writing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with HIPAA Administrative Safeguards).

This test is hard given that sort of background. I read Gibson's book, reviewed exam objectives, and used Messer's videos. You really have to understand the concepts - I felt the questions were so vague. And having 72 in a row was pure exhaustion on my brain no matter how much water kefir and energizing liver pills I took beforehand to avoid exactly this. I was thankful for the performance based questions were I thought were straightforward. Also, maybe I'm old, but I'm certain studies have been done showing that reading comprehension is much better on paper than on screen. Words felt like they were blurring together. Thank goodness no one else was in the exam room - I was pacing around, standing up, and talking aloud to keep myself from going crazy...or, um...clearly I must have gone crazy.

In any case, if you do have networking experience, I do think you'll be fine studying good materials and the exam objectives. If you're coming to it with my experience, spend time understanding the concepts and not so much time trying to memorize everything. And, good luck!

Comments

• Options
    next for me? ...a vacation in France... :D

Congrats on having all three!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    Thank you!

no...nothing next for me. I like my job/position, and if something comes up that will make me better at doing my job, I'd be up for it, but otherwise, I'm good for now!
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MikeMaineMikeMaine Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great post amber27...I am in the GRC sector and like yourself my work consists of developing and revising policies and procedures. I enjoy my work.

Congrats!

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats!!!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    liz4rdliz4rd Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

Always remember that good security is built on good networking.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+ is a nice cert it opened many a door for me. It is harder than people suspect when they go into it. I know I was kind of shocked at some of the question when I took it three years ago. I studied one book and thought I was good to go, but the exam was tricky and made you really think.
  • Options
    osPrimeosPrime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This! Very much this! I just passed this today and at times during the test I would look up at the top of the screen to make sure I was taking the correct exam! I read through Gibsons book cover to cover...twice! Purchased the premium study material and spent a month and a half going through all of that. I am currently working in a position where we utilize a lot of these security controls/concepts but still found myself feeling exactly like you Amber!

Congrats on the pass!

amber27 wrote: »
    OMG. I will need a lot of time to recover from that - I cannot believe I passed. The mix of emotions I had experienced during that exam should only ever be experienced at big life events. I think my background is important - I have no networking experience (and no natural inclination towards technology), but do have operational security experience (have been involved in risk assessments reviewing and writing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with HIPAA Administrative Safeguards).

This test is hard given that sort of background. I read Gibson's book, reviewed exam objectives, and used Messer's videos. You really have to understand the concepts - I felt the questions were so vague. And having 72 in a row was pure exhaustion on my brain no matter how much water kefir and energizing liver pills I took beforehand to avoid exactly this. I was thankful for the performance based questions were I thought were straightforward. Also, maybe I'm old, but I'm certain studies have been done showing that reading comprehension is much better on paper than on screen. Words felt like they were blurring together. Thank goodness no one else was in the exam room - I was pacing around, standing up, and talking aloud to keep myself from going crazy...or, um...clearly I must have gone crazy.

In any case, if you do have networking experience, I do think you'll be fine studying good materials and the exam objectives. If you're coming to it with my experience, spend time understanding the concepts and not so much time trying to memorize everything. And, good luck!
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    osPrime wrote: »
    This! Very much this! I just passed this today and at times during the test I would look up at the top of the screen to make sure I was taking the correct exam!

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. I put my head on the desk and was convinced I failed. When I saw I passed, I had to read the screen three times to believe it.
  • Options
    giggig Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I also thought the questions were very vague. But if you learn and understand the concepts, it will work out for you.