Options

CV is starting to look bad

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was in my first IT job for approx 5 years. Went to University for 3 years, then got a job right out of University. I was doing 12 hour shifts and left after 10 months - I couldn't hack the shifts. I got another job and was in it for 1 yr 3/4 months but they were in the process of relocating the business and cutting jobs - so I just got a new job. I've been here 2 weeks (digital forensics, law enforcement) and i've heard stories that make me want to physically throw up. And I am not exaggerating - i've heard stories that almost make me want to sob in a corner. There are some depraved, sick individuals out there.

Now, my current job is a 6 month contract role (first contract i've had). I'm going to try and stick out at least 3 months, but I am now aware that my CV is starting to look like i'm a job hopper (which i'm not. Well, i've not intended to be).

Can anyone offer any positivity and re-assurance? I'm even considering leaving the IT world for good. What started out as a hobby has taken me down a path that I didn't want to go down.

Comments

• Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I have heard on here before, is that when contracts end, it doesn't hurt you like moving from a permanent position. Or if your moving to better yourself through promotion, raise and more responsibility, etc. Moving laterally is sometimes frowned upon, unless you can explain why you would move that way.
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    I think your certs and experience will get you the interviews. Just give an honest explanation when they bring it up, and I don't think it would be a problem (esp the LE job that made you sick to your stomach, no one gonna blame you there)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to ask, did you not know what you were walking into by doing forensics for Law Enforcement? It's well known that this is not a field for everyone. And why are you considering leaving the IT field? Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to pursue something else. I feel like I'm missing something here.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest, I doubt anyone is considered a Job hopper in 2016 especially in the UK. We live in a time and age where people need to be happy in a role and get paid what they are worth and one keep moving on until you find that role. Just be ready to have the conversation about why you are seeking a new job. This is a basic human right "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have to ask, did you not know what you were walking into by doing forensics for Law Enforcement? It's well known that this is not a field for everyone. And why are you considering leaving the IT field? Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to pursue something else. I feel like I'm missing something here.

I don't think it's possible to know what digital forensics involves until you do it. Everyone says "you'll be fine", or "there's support available" - but it doesn't matter if there is £1,000,000 waiting for you when you get home - all you can think about is what you've seen and heard that day. And trust me, i've seen very little in the 2 weeks i've been there. But already i'm starting to think: "holy crap....what am I going to see tomorrow?" It's not really mentioned during university...

At university, you disassemble a PC, you use some nice forensic tools and you feel all happy and technical. Then you walk into the job and Suspect #1 has just sold his daughter to some p*do to do what he pleases. Forget the PC disassembly and tech talk - human beings are being abused, killed, raped and tortured. I thought i'd be able to cope but I think if I saw anything else i'd crumble.

I think the job has made me realize that I didn't need to go to University. I just needed to study some certs and progress in a 2nd and 3rd line support role. If I could get back into PC support, i'd go down that route. I'm not making excuses, i've just had a huge realization over the past few years.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If this is not the job for you then you should leave for the sake your mental well being. Law enforcement see a lot of things that lead them to drink, kill themselves, abuse others, etc. It isn't a job for everyone. You shouldn't have a problem with the amount of jobs you've had on your resume (you don't have to list every single job you've had anyway) I would just be honest and state your feelings if it came up on an interview on why were there for a few weeks, it's a very sensitive subject that people will listen to.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    If this is not the job for you then you should leave for the sake your mental well being. Law enforcement see a lot of things that lead them to drink, kill themselves, abuse others, etc. It isn't a job for everyone. You shouldn't have a problem with the amount of jobs you've had on your resume (you don't have to list every single job you've had anyway) I would just be honest and state your feelings if it came up on an interview on why were there for a few weeks, it's a very sensitive subject that people will listen to.

Thanks Danny, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I'll stick it out for a bit longer but I will start looking for my next long-term 5 years+ job now. I hate moving around but if something isn't right, it isn't right. Thanks again.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    si20: So this means you concluded that Digital Forensics in Law Enforcement is not for you?

This means you need to think - and think carefully - what your next career step should be. Decide BEFORE you leave. You should be comfortable with the idea of a BORING job in the private sector doing SOC work looking at spread sheets and not LEARNING much - I know it doesn't have to be this way, but this is a very real situation that you might find yourself in, and you need to be prepared to accept it because Law Enforcement isn't for you.

And if you can't cultivate a sixth sense of detachment, then I understand, law enforcement is disturbing. I've seen things in my life too (war and stuff), and I know most average IT folks can never handle that. Not that I'm good at handling it or anything, but no one have to do that if they don't have a real (unavoidable) reason to do it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lol, forget about the sick twisted crap. I'm used to it after a decade of law enforcement.

What I'm mostly sick of is all the damn nasty ass frumpy naked selfies and the huge amount of crotch shots I have to process everyday. It's almost like every criminal in the country has the insatiable need to photograph their own genitals. Wtf?

But seriously. The OP is right. It can hit you in the feels sometimes. My first forensics case ever was a homicide victim. We needed to figure out who killed the guy. Call logs were all from the suspect (it was a set-up murder), up until the last outbound call. The guy dialed 911, right before he died.

A lot of the phones I get still have the victim's blood dried up all over them. I get to clean the blood off and then look at photos of them having happy times with their family, friends, etc.

Oh and all the goodbye texts people send after someone dies. Man those are really sad.

Not to mention the CP cases. I don't even talk about those.

Definitely not a job for everyone.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    And to si20. Your CV will be fine. It doesn't look like you have an excessively lengthy work history.

Edited to add: Don't for a second feel any kind of shame or weakness for how you feel about what you've been exposed to. Your feelings are totally 100% normal.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lot's of forensic work in non-law enforcement environments (i.e. no child ****). Have you looked into e-Discovery or perhaps a corporate position in Incident Response? I know in the US a lot of incident response teams have or want forensic people and based on your cert list you'd be a perfect fit.

As for jumping from the job due to mental health I don't think anyone would hold that against you given the nature of what is involved. The FBI mandates that their forensic people speak with a psychologist, I believe, twice a month if they work in child exploitation or on exploitation cases. I know in my State they rotate the forensic guys to give them a break.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have the certs experience to walk into any well paid security job. Go with that, don't do something that's not for you or bad for your wellbeing. Valid reasons with the prior jobs as well so doubt it would be an issue.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had an interview once where the interviewer made a comment something to the effect of me having a stable work history.

I thought the exact opposite since my work history was quite spotty at that point. I had 8 years in the military then a nine month gap(5 months if you include a short seasonal retail job I had) until I got a part time job on a college campus while I worked on my degree full time. At the time of the interview I had since left that part-time job in order to attend another university for a few semesters and it had been about 8 months since I had a job.

I think the main thing the interviewer saw was that I had 8 years at one place and 15 months at another place. With your 5 year iob and 1 year job I don't think you will have any issues getting a job. I think with at least one year at any job and you're golden. I think they only start looking at you as a job hopper is when you string a bunch of 3-6 months stints together with no reasonable explanation such as them being contract jobs.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Thomas: the problem is that 'stable work history' has been a random thing in my experience. I have 7+ yrs at the same company, then a 1 one year and 5 months in another...and some interviewer insisted on making a point of me being unstable because I stayed only for 1.5 yrs at one place (they were trying to pick on something wrong, anything..). It's a matter of opinion and everyone has their own idea on what the perfect time spent on each role should be. We should just try and be as stable as possible, but it wont be a protection against interviewers seeing it as instability. I'm sure some employers would think oh 5 yrs in the same company you must be a dinosaur with outdated info etc etc...can't win there mate.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com