Options

Cisco Certification Extension to expiry date?

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just failed Cisco switch exam twice. I don't work with switches and routers at all anymore as I undertake a security operations role. I did not want my current Cisco exams to expire because I have worked very hard to get them, although I don't use them in my everyday role. Unfortunately my current Cisco exams expire this weekend. I did not think it would take 2 attempts and felt confident I passed today but my score was 780 and needed 790.

I have just become the Dad of twins and have a 3 year old, so its been tough, but I do take responsibility and should have allowed more time between exams. (did them a week apart)

I called Cisco but does not look like they can do anything. Has anyone been successful with an appeal with getting an extension on the expiration of Cisco Certs?

It may be that I have to take it on the chin and focus on certifications my current career path requires such as the CISSP.

Feeling quite disappointed, but not sure I can do anything about.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd schedule ICND2 before expiring this weekend if you can and at least give it a shot. At least you'll keep your CCNA and CCNA Security.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'd schedule ICND2 before expiring this weekend if you can and at least give it a shot. At least you'll keep your CCNA and CCNA Security.

Thanks. If I schedule an exam before the expiry date then does that mean they would not expire unless I fail that exam. Is the cut off by schedule date, or passing date? Perhaps this means If I schedule the Cisco exam today as long as I pass it third time then the Cisco certs don't expire?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's the passing date. You'd have to pass the exam before the expiration.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    If you have time to sit any exams before expiry, then you can do any of the CCNP level exams to renew your CCNP Sec and CCNAs. Or do any CCNA level exam (not ICND1, which is a special case) to renew the CCNAs. I assume that you attempted a CCNP Sec exam, so maybe the CCNA Sec is easier alternative to renew your CCNA's at least.

Cisco's method where one exam renews all certs at the same or lower level is great when you can pass an exam in time, but a real PITA if you can't since you end up losing everything.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    If you had even a week left and the extra cash, I'd recommend you just shotgun all the CCNP Sec exams since you passed those before. Chances are you'd pass one of them.

But with essentially zero time left, I'm afraid you're SOL. Start working on your CCIE Sec since it doesn't have any prerequisites.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you had even a week left and the extra cash, I'd recommend you just shotgun all the CCNP Sec exams since you passed those before. Chances are you'd pass one of them.

But with essentially zero time left, I'm afraid you're SOL. Start working on your CCIE Sec since it doesn't have any prerequisites.

He's just had twins and you suggest he should start a CCIE? Not sure I'd be trying to do that if I'd been in his shoes.

To the OP, I would suggest you sit one of the CCNP: Security exams to refresh your CCNP but it must be done by your date - not sure how feasible that is.

A friend of mine was in a situation where he had to pass all the CCNP because it was soon expiring and he would have lost the lot if he'd failed. Not a situation I would like to find myself in - would have meant CCNA all over again too...
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    gorebrush wrote: »
    He's just had twins and you suggest he should start a CCIE?

Yeah, I'm sure other people with kids have managed it. He essentially already lost all his other certs (above he said it expires this weekend, and it's presently this weekend), and it doesn't make a lot of sense to do them over again. Might as well just work toward the CCIE at this point, IMHO.
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    Sorry no advice just a question. Didn't want to make a new thread for this question, and it pertains to this situation. For someone like OP who has let a lot of impressive certs expire, is there ever a spot on the resume for retired certs? It seems a shame if you can't mention them.
  • Options
    Techytach wrote: »
    Sorry no advice just a question. Didn't want to make a new thread for this question, and it pertains to this situation. For someone like OP who has let a lot of impressive certs expire, is there ever a spot on the resume for retired certs? It seems a shame if you can't mention them.

Im pretty sure you should remove them from your C.V as you are not certified once they have expired. The employer also can get certain benefits such as bigger discounts with Cisco through the more certified employees they have, but they need to be legitimately certified.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I think this is just one that I'm going to have to take on the chin. CCIE is probably not the right route for me as I don't even touch Cisco kit as I work in a security operations role. Its quite a mixed role where I manage security technology (SIEM, Fortigates, IPS, WAF, AV, Privilege Management, VPN but at the same time also get involved in the security risk and Governance side (Supplier security reviews, security change assessment, security design, risk management, Security policy implementation and review) I quite like the role as its so diverse and I get lots of exposure to the different elements of security. The CISSP is probably a good bet for me now. Im going to allow myself 3 or 4 months for this one before the wife goes back to work.

I checked the Cisco site this morning and the exams are not showing as expired. They are still marked as blue and not with a cross to denote expired?