Options

Getting the most out of reading?

nickelitonickelito Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I have started to go through the recommended reading list for CCIE R&S, but I am not progressing as fast as I would have wanted to.

I started out just reading the books from cover to cover, without taking notes or making flashcards. This kept my reading speed at an adequate level but I didnt feel like I learned anything and I didnt retain alot of information.Next approach was to combine active reading (SQ3R), with spaced repetitions using my flashcards.

This made me digest the information alot better - but at the expense of the pace I was able to go through the books.With these techniques, my reading speed just isnt acceptable because it takes me around 3 days to finish 2 chapters.There's also the hassle of not being able to just pick up a book and read - wherever I may be, because I need my computer in order to be able to write down the questions as I go, and organize and save them.

So while this might be the best method to acctually learn the material, it is slowing me down too much.So how are you all doing this, learning without becoming too slow?

Comments

• Options
    airwrckairwrck Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nickelito wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I have started to go through the recommended reading list for CCIE R&S, but I am not progressing as fast as I would have wanted to.

I started out just reading the books from cover to cover, without taking notes or making flashcards. This kept my reading speed at an adequate level but I didnt feel like I learned anything and I didnt retain alot of information.Next approach was to combine active reading (SQ3R), with spaced repetitions using my flashcards.

This made me digest the information alot better - but at the expense of the pace I was able to go through the books.With these techniques, my reading speed just isnt acceptable because it takes me around 3 days to finish 2 chapters.There's also the hassle of not being able to just pick up a book and read - wherever I may be, because I need my computer in order to be able to write down the questions as I go, and organize and save them.

So while this might be the best method to acctually learn the material, it is slowing me down too much.So how are you all doing this, learning without becoming too slow?

I read the two volumes of Official Cert Guide CCIE Routing and Switching V5.0, enhanced it with Doyle's 2 books, and took the Pearson-Vue practice tests provided with the ebook/hardcover book. I'm taking tests now and looking at the answers after I provide my answers. My goal is to get to a score of 900 before I take the Written Exam next Saturday 7/23/116 (the weekend before the test is supposed to change)
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    It's probably easier, psychologically, to think of it as a number of topics you have to learn (ospf, bgp, stp, etc) rather than specific books that you must read. At least it is for me because it reframes the problem to "what is the best way to learn ospf?" instead of "how do I read these books in the most efficient way?". The books are just a tool, not a goal in and of themselves.
  • Options
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    It's probably easier, psychologically, to think of it as a number of topics you have to learn (ospf, bgp, stp, etc) rather than specific books that you must read. At least it is for me because it reframes the problem to "what is the best way to learn ospf?" instead of "how do I read these books in the most efficient way?". The books are just a tool, not a goal in and of themselves.

Thank you for this! Seriously, why didnt I think of that?!
    Are you currently studying for the CCIE right now by the way? How far along are you in that case?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, unfortunately the average person doesn't actually retain that much from just reading something... Wish we did!

• Options
    Yea, unfortunately the average person doesn't actually retain that much from just reading something... Wish we did!

Acctually, theres a remedy for this called "spaced repetitions".
    I'm experimenting with it as I am reading Internetworking with TCP/IP ... hopefullt it will be helpful cause Ive heard lots of people saying it helped them!
  • Options
    waxtraxwaxtrax Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Spaced repetitions are awesome. I started doing this about two months ago by creating my own flashcards in Anki based on what I've been studying for the CCIE. I have been pretty impressed with the results so far, especially when I come across a flashcard that I haven't seen in awhile and that I know I had trouble with it in the past, but when I see it again I still remember what the answer was. Pretty cool!

I did a writeup on it on PP: https://packetpushers.net/20556/
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also do spaced repetitions with flash cards. You are right it does take longer but it is worth it for the long haul since you retain more information.