Options

New job has "downtime" (not a complaint thread)

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
As the title says, my new job runs at a much slower pace than my last job which is a good thing. I didn't realize how much "GO GO GO - DO DO DO" there is in a MSP is until I got here.

Anyways, the point of the thread. I don't like doing very little so I have been refining SolarWinds monitoring, learning as much as I can about the devices in use, reading documentation, investigating "benign" alerts to double check they are benign, etc...just doing a lot things to keep busy but not really fixing anything until we get a change request or something breaks (or I need to prove its not the network).

I don't have someone to ask if there are other things I should be doing, my peer is 100% windows and is kept busy with his servers/desktops. My boss is non technical and has told me keep doing what I am doing until we get project work.

So is there anything some vets might be doing in this position that I could start doing today?

Comments

• Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep learning.... cybrary.it
  • Options
    IaHawk wrote: »

I feel weird about studying at work...I do it at home already and feel like its taking advantage of the situation.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are on the right track. Keep doing that and learning about the network and other relevant IT topics. Cybrary, pluralsight, etc.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I feel weird about studying at work...

+1 I always kind of have too. I'd probably learn everything you can about the things your company uses. And learn the processes on how people use those things. Maybe look for areas to improve, maybe there is some software or hardware out there that can really help your company. Or maybe the process of doing something is out of date and can be improved on. Sounds like your kind of doing this already though... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    I feel weird about studying at work...I do it at home already and feel like its taking advantage of the situation.
    I mean if you are studying to become better at your job, that is part of work no?
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "Do or do not. There is no cry." --Yoda (maybe)
  • Options
    IaHawk wrote: »

Upon further review...

https://www.cybrary.it/course/pcidss/

I think I can swing that course at work...I need to learn that better anyways.
  • Options
    "Do or do not. There is no cry." --Yoda (maybe)

It was Jesus.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If the studying is related to work I never feel guilty, but my boss encourages it says he wants us spending at least 20% of our week doing this.
  • Options
    If the studying is related to work I never feel guilty, but my boss encourages it says he wants us spending at least 20% of our week doing this.

Maybe this "extra" time is normal and I have just been hammered with the "downtime is bad" mentality for too long.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It was Jesus.

Well it had to be one of the two.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    As the title says, my new job runs at a much slower pace than my last job which is a good thing. I didn't realize how much "GO GO GO - DO DO DO" there is in a MSP is until I got here.

Anyways, the point of the thread. I don't like doing very little so I have been refining SolarWinds monitoring, learning as much as I can about the devices in use, reading documentation, investigating "benign" alerts to double check they are benign, etc...just doing a lot things to keep busy but not really fixing anything until we get a change request or something breaks (or I need to prove its not the network).

I don't have someone to ask if there are other things I should be doing, my peer is 100% windows and is kept busy with his servers/desktops. My boss is non technical and has told me keep doing what I am doing until we get project work.

So is there anything some vets might be doing in this position that I could start doing today?

It sounds like you're on a track to have most of your bases covered in the event things hit the fan. Since you're already working on becoming familiar with your network and equipment, perhaps establish a network diagram if not already in place (management likes pretty pictures) and inventory your network. At some point a management type may ask for an inventory list and if you have that ready to go it will make you look good.

Also, you could create performance baselines for your equipment and learn ways to automate busy work by learning Ansible. Its easy to learn and its free:

https://www.ansible.com/network-automation
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    - If you don't have a degree, start working on one
    - If you care about certifications, advance in your path
    - We all quibble about various things that we want or do not want to do at work or in specific situations. Realize that others do not have that particular hangnail and are using any downtime to advance in some way, academically or professionally.
    If you don't want to do studies "of personal nature", then as advised, learn about stuff for work. Automation, other monitoring tools, incident handling, network forensics, protocol analysis....
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain 10x. Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Besides studying, look at the documentation and if you feel the urge, pick one document a week/month/whatever and update it with new images if things look dated on it. Also, check out the procedures and see if you think that there may be a better way to fix whatever that issue is referencing and bounce it off your co-workers.

But as someone who gets a bit of downtime, I study... Alot.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    - If you don't have a degree, start working on one

I'm not sure I agree with this. I'm not sure how much benefit a degree would have when you already have experience in the industry you want to work in.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would never feel guilty about studying at work. They are effectively getting higher skilled people for zero cost for them and it means you are better at your job. I'd never have managed to get a CCIE without the downtime in my outgoing role at the MSP. A lot of the people there will sit there and watch films and TV shows all night - and admittedly I used to do it from time to time, because you can't be working/studying 100% of the time, especially at 4 in the morning in a night shift where literally nothing has happened.

Use the time wisely - be it to help them, or help yourself. As long as you are studying relevant technologies, there is nothing in my view to feel guilty about.
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    It sounds like you're on a track to have most of your bases covered in the event things hit the fan. Since you're already working on becoming familiar with your network and equipment, perhaps establish a network diagram if not already in place (management likes pretty pictures) and inventory your network. At some point a management type may ask for an inventory list and if you have that ready to go it will make you look good.

Also, you could create performance baselines for your equipment and learn ways to automate busy work by learning Ansible. Its easy to learn and its free:

https://www.ansible.com/network-automation

Ohh good idea! Just as I started they finished up a external audit, so management has all of their pretty charts and graphs and diagrams (as do I now, thanks auditors!).

I learned/setup RANCID my second week here because there were no network device backups when I started which freaked me out until RANCID was done and tested to be working.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I would never feel guilty about studying at work. They are effectively getting higher skilled people for zero cost for them and it means you are better at your job. I'd never have managed to get a CCIE without the downtime in my outgoing role at the MSP. A lot of the people there will sit there and watch films and TV shows all night - and admittedly I used to do it from time to time, because you can't be working/studying 100% of the time, especially at 4 in the morning in a night shift where literally nothing has happened.

Use the time wisely - be it to help them, or help yourself. As long as you are studying relevant technologies, there is nothing in my view to feel guilty about.

You guys are slowly converting me :)

BS is almost complete, 8 classes left. CCNP is on hold until I finish the BS since its a requirement for this new job.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Simrid wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I'm not sure how much benefit a degree would have when you already have experience in the industry you want to work in.

Many management positions require it for validation or box check
  • Options
    Many management positions require it for validation or box check

As much as I don't agree with it and its stupid, my current position requires a BS. They bent the rules a bit under the condition I get it asap.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As much as I don't agree with it and its stupid, my current position requires a BS. They bent the rules a bit under the condition I get it asap.

Absolutely true, some companies have a hard rule and with all the education inflation in the last decade it would be a very short sighted outlook to say you would never need a degree. My workplace has tuition reimbursement, I just started qualifying for it and am looking at MS programs. It amazes me to see all the people who have been there 5+ years and never taken a single class and don't have a BS.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simrid wrote: »

If I'm your competition for a job and I have a degree...and you don't...and we're pretty much equal in skill.....the outcome is usually predictable. It's a checkbox, but a very important one.

It's also an investment in yourself, your career and your future. Not a bad thing to pursue if you don't have one. If you pick the right program, it's also fun and gives you chances to work with others in the same field.
  • Options
    gumpwaregumpware Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always plan for your exit/next job. That means study for the next level certification and or read up on the latest technology. Update you CV with accomplishments/experience at your current job. Be ready to grab the next opportunity that may come along. You don't want to miss out on your dream job because you lacked the certification that you've been procrastinating on. And always update the documentation, whether it be the system/network design and layout or the operations manual. You want to make sure the person that comes behind you can pick up where you left off so that when the time comes, you can leave without feeling guilty.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Gorebrush I found that most employers bait and switch a little when it comes to task / work etc..... This can be annoying depending on which extra skill you are learning, if it's something you want to do then great move forward, if not well that sucks. With all that said this is why I do it. I usually have 3 - 4 new technologies I am always learning, in my case database and development. I spend my study time on what I want that aligns with work. If I have 4 new technologies I am expected to learn I usually end up deep diving into the one I like the most and that is usually okay with my Boss and my peers.
  • Options
    ssgmun5000ssgmun5000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also recommend studying and learning new things during downtime. If you have not done so map out and draw the network. If work provides tuition reimbursement take advantage of that. I use to work in a NOC for several years and regret not taking full advantage of the downtime. I got a few certs but I had more than enough time to get a BS.