Options

Doctoral Programs Post UMUC Cybersecurity Masters Programs

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
So, I completed my MS in Cybersecurity Policy nearly four years ago (rather early in the programs inception). I toyed around with the idea of doing some doctoral program, but I just never found anything that met my criteria of flexible, affordable, and accepts my MS as transfer credit at a substantial level.

Now that it has been several years, I imagine that there are likely others that have gone down this path. My reasoning... I have always wanted to complete a doctoral program, plus, school is the easiest way to get CPEs for the CISSP. I don't want to pay for this out of pocket, at all... I am still paying off my undergrad loans and a little bit left from the modest amount I paid for grad school. The good thing is, my current employer ramps up tuition reimbursement as the years of service increase... starting the standard (~$5000) and maxing out at about $30k (I am nowhere near the max, but almost to the first step beyond the minimum).

So, any options would be great. Ideally... looking for a US program (just to make sure all of the data is provided), though I wouldn't mind options that might be available in Europe, either (German-speaking countries or similar/nearby); it may provide an impetus for me to move over there for a while.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    - You didn't mention if you want it online or hybrid? or pure brick & mortar?

- Also, define "substantial level" for transfer credit?
    The most I usually see is 12 credits on a 60 credit doctoral program. Most PhDs are 60 credits usually with coursework leading to comprehensive exams before starting on the dissertation.

- Also, are you looking for a PhD (academic focus) or DBA (practitioner focus)?
    - If online, how flexible are you with flying on location to do your residency. Time period differs between universities.

Suggestions:
    - NorthCentral University in AZ: totally online, no residency, various specializations
    - Nova Southeastern in FL: residency required
    - Walden: residency required, flexible degree
    - Capella: residency required, I think they have flex registration too
    - Dakota State: not a PhD but a DSc in cybersecurity. residency required. Heard that it's hard to get into.
    - Indiana State: PhD Tech Mgmt. residency required. I think it's a consortium of state universities.
    - Valdosta State in GA: they have a DPA (Doctor of Public Administration) with I think a focus on cyber security or you can do one if you have a prof to sponsor you. It's a consortium of 5 universities around GA.

These are off the top of my head. Personally, I'm leaning towards NCU for their flexibility, class size and relative affordability.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    hmm, I think unless one is interested in working in Academia, a PhD doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest. Yes it's 'easy' to get CPEs, but it's a lot of work for little relevance in the real world. I'm very pro education, but I think in PhD you will be putting A LOT of effort, so might as well put it somewhere with a much better ROI. Invest your time in a SANS course for example, self study or otherwise. Tackle difficult certifications. Reason is, you will learn valuable relevant skills, instead of reading academic papers that has little value in the real world.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aside from what TranceSoulBother mentioned above (great list!)

I have been considering a Doctorate myself and so far Capitol Technology University ranks high among the DSc Cybersecurity programs I've come across. It is online, however you will meet once a week in a virtual classroom for a couple of hours and there is also a residency requirement. The program seems to have a very solid reputation and I've come across numerous successful individuals either in the program or whom have graduated from it, particularly among the DoD, which could be a great thing considering the expected growth of Federal Cyber jobs.

I begin DSU's MSIA program 8/22/2016 and my plan is to finish it in Spring 2018 and begin a DSc in Cyber in the fall of 2018. The reason I like the DSc is it is a little more practical and real world applicable than the PhD and also takes much less time, 3 years on average.

https://capitol-college.edu/academics/graduate-academics/cybersecurity-dsc
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. So, to answer some questions:

- Online would be best (most flexible), but isn't entirely required
    - I would like to get as close to transferring all 36 credits I have... To be as close to half way through the program. I know that is a long shot, but the closer the better.
    - I wouldn't mind academic work... I already have an MS, so I am not shy writing... And I really have little interest in more certifications... I already have a CISSP and others certs to maintain.
    - Also, other countries, namely Germany, place significant value in doctoral completion... Seems almost like a requirement for management and higher

I completely spaced Indiana State... It is 45 minutes from me. I will look into these. What would be great is if a doctoral program had a post-masters certificate that could feed directly into doctoral completion... That way I could avoid a longer commitment requirement. Then, just take some time off and come back to it.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    hmm, I think unless one is interested in working in Academia, a PhD doesn't make a lot of sense to be honest. Yes it's 'easy' to get CPEs, but it's a lot of work for little relevance in the real world. I'm very pro education, but I think in PhD you will be putting A LOT of effort, so might as well put it somewhere with a much better ROI. Invest your time in a SANS course for example, self study or otherwise. Tackle difficult certifications. Reason is, you will learn valuable relevant skills, instead of reading academic papers that has little value in the real world.

Agree with this, you can pick up all your CPEs just listening to podcasts once a week on the commute to work, I can't imagine an MS+ level course is easier than that. I think for anything higher than an MS you want to really look at the reasons why you're taking it. If you want a doctorate just so you can say you have one, I guess that's a reason, but seems like gross overkill for a technical or even a management position.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like UnixGuy said, unless you plan on working for a university/college, it's not really worth it. Give yourself a couple of years to breathe and pay off your student loans. You already have the option to teach with your Masters in some university's now, however you should probably focus on SANS courses. You could look at getting your GSE down the road, write some gold papers, or maybe jump into becoming a ISC Handler. Any one of those will probably give you a better ROI overall. Once you get a lot of that stuff out of the way, then you may want to consider the PhD route.
  • Options
    A PhD is not always about pure academia work. You can leverage it for part time teaching of course, while managing a full time IT career. It is also a good credential for senior consultancy. Overseas, an US PhD is highly prized unlike in the US.
    I want it for the personal satisfaction of the achievement, the adjunct teaching opportunities and the opportunities for potential publications in the future (which I know can happen now, but can be enhanced with a doctorate)
  • Options
    A PhD is not always about pure academia work. You can leverage it for part time teaching of course, while managing a full time IT career. It is also a good credential for senior consultancy. Overseas, an US PhD is highly prized unlike in the US.
    I want it for the personal satisfaction of the achievement, the adjunct teaching opportunities and the opportunities for potential publications in the future (which I know can happen now, but can be enhanced with a doctorate)

This.

Just because you don't see it in the US... PhDs are very valuable abroad and I would like to eventually move to Europe for a few years and work there.
  • Options
    I kind of disagree really. Overseas PhDs are research only (unlike the US where you have few subjects..) I've yet to see a non-academic position asking for a PhD. Part-time teaching jobs are always an option though is it really the best use of time? (Part time teaching jobs for online college pay peanuts) How about getting a more senior position and getting paid for having more skills/connections?

It really is a personal decision at the end of the day! And for Europe, I'd try and get a job in Europe before going there, or even do a masters degree there (1~2 yrs course instead of 3~6 yrs course), that would a more viable options towards working in Europe IMHO. A masters degree in Europe might give you a 1 year visa and/or an internship.

But YMMV...

• Options
    I already have a masters degrees... that is the point of the thread.

Take a look at some German companies... pretty much everyone at respected companies, manager and up, have a doctoral degree.

But seriously, I am not really worried about the things you bring up. I am not a junior person. I have 18 years of experience in a senior level position at a global consulting company with a graduate degree and already have advanced certifications. This is the time for something like this. Also, I have already worked abroad once. I could apply and get a job now... that isn't the issue. I want a doctoral degree and I have many other reasons to back it up. I plan on getting a job there in 2-4 years depending on how things go here (I have kids in school and am waiting for my 2nd kid to graduate high school and figuring out if I want to wait for the 3rd kid or look at high school (gymnasium) over there.
  • Options
    @Powerfool you have more experience and knowledge than me, good luck with your journey and keep us posted icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    MagniciousMagnicious Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can also go to the University of South Africa. They have a doctoral degree in Computer Science or Information Systems. The cost is 26860 rand a year which translated to around $1842/year. It does not require residency either and is accredited. I have a few guys I know who did this program. I don't know of anywhere else that offers a cheaper price than this. Unisa Online
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    @Powerfool, you stated "accepts my MS as transfer credit at a substantial level," can you elaborate a little on this? Are you referring to those programs where people burn out and leave with a masters degree? if so then you would most likely (depending on the university policy) the classes you have already completed that are equivalent to ones in the program would satisfy as transfer credit.

I am in a doctoral program now at NCU so I can only speak to that institution and a very limited amount of research I did on a few others. I am only doing doctoral level classes at NCU, I was not required to do any 5 or 600 level classes. Nothing I had completed before transferred over other than meeting criteria for entrance.
  • Options
    UMUC only has a masters (and pre-masters graduate certificates) at the graduate level for Cybersecurity... so, no, this has just been a masters program. It was 36 credit hours, and I would like to get as close to 36 credit hours transferred in as possible. Looking at Indiana State, it would be good to get the required courses mostly knocked out, and perhaps most of the concentration courses... but we'll see. I will give them a call. It may be something I put off for another year, or so.
  • Options
    JazzPilot56JazzPilot56 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have any experience with the University of Fairfax MS or DSc Cyber Security and Information Assurance programs?

V/R

Will
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Does anyone have any experience with the University of Fairfax MS or DSc Cyber Security and Information Assurance programs?

V/R

Will

They're a degree mill - I'd avoid at all costs.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Not technically. Use "Degree Mill" with caution. Real degree mills are bogus places that sell you a piece of paper without any coursework or much effort from the student besides pulling his credit card from his wallet.

U of Fairfax is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission, making it nationally not regionally accredited.

Stay away from it nonetheless. At $895/credit, you can do better elsewhere.
  • Options
    JazzPilot56JazzPilot56 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate the feedback. Any recommendations on quality Doctorate (PhD or D.Sc.) Cyber Security and Information Assurance Online Programs?
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jazz,

I looked into Fairfax but found better options in Capitol Technology Universities DSc Cybersecurity program, which I plan to begin 2018.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    Any movement on the Doctoral Degree? I wrapped up my MSISA at WGU and am looking at terminal info sec degree programs myself. With my work and life obligations, as well as flexibility and cost, I am leaning towards Capella. I am curious if you have decided on a program or if you are going another route.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    I am probably putting it off for a bit. My wife had an accident and it is going to keep her from driving and she requires a lot of help, so whatever limited time I had has become negative free-time.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear about your wife, hope that works out OK. Family > more schooling for sure.
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    powerfool wrote: »
    I am probably putting it off for a bit. My wife had an accident and it is going to keep her from driving and she requires a lot of help, so whatever limited time I had has become negative free-time.

Funny you say that, not HAHA funny, but coincidentally a similar situation to mine. My wife broke her leg a few weeks ago and is recovering from surgery. She still is not fully mobile but is on the road to recovery. It has been very time consuming when you have to take care of someone and pick up the slack, so I commiserate with your situation. I hope things improve for you and her, and that you can find time to continue your progress soon!
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella