HSRP via direct trunk or via L2 switch?

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
HRSP-trunk-SW.png
See example above

Would there be any different as to how HSRP should work if it would be connected via a direct Trunk or via a SW. I'm guessing not. In situation 3, Will R2 get the multicast from both the SW and R1 (directly over the trunk)? I think yes?

I guess Multicast, like broadcast is send out of all interface, or will the R1/R2 make a decision as to on which interface it will send out multicast/HSRP pakcets?

Is there a way to see if if HSRP message are received over an interface?

Comments

• d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    debug condition interface Typex/y
    debug standby packets
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    debug condition interface Typex/y
    debug standby packets

Are there no show command to show this? Debug command in production is always threading on thin ice.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Unrelated, but since you're playing with HSRP anybody who's taken SANS SEC660 might suggest reading up on a related topic re: HSRP security

https://www.dshield.org/diary/Network%2BReliability,%2BPart%2B2%2B-%2BHSRP%2BAttacks%2Band%2BDefenses/10120
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There wouldn't be any difference in the behavior assuming your router supports L2 switching.

As far as the second part think STP here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Are there no show command to show this? Debug command in production is always threading on thin ice.

This is why you try theoreticals and hypotheticals in the lab :)

But if HSRP is properly configured, there shouldn't be too much traffic to debug, and you'd only need to run it for a couple of minutes tops.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    There wouldn't be any difference in the behavior assuming your router supports L2 switching.

Are you saying that a "pure" router doesn't support L2 switching? I know it does a layer 2 rewrite, but then again, decision are made on IP (Layer 3)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In the pure sense, no a router doesn't switch. You'd need to front them with a switch for HSRP to function.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    In the pure sense, no a router doesn't switch. You'd need to front them with a switch for HSRP to function.

And if there is a trunk between 2x L3? switches