Options

was i wrong at work?

kp10tangkp10tang Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
still under probation.
At 12:06 pm, i put my earphone and closed my eyes for a quick nap.
Other dept manager waked me up and asked "are you ok? are you on break?"
I told him i am on my break time. It is a lunch time and I've been doing OT without getting paid.

My team lead called me and go out side next time.

I dont mind. It is not like I am upset or anything....just wondering...am i wrong?
I did not snore. Earphone and music on and put my head down with eyes closed.

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally don't think so. They may not want to let you do that because people walking by might not realize you are on break and not just slacking. It's funny how smoke breaks rarely get questioned...
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Without knowing exactly what you do and where you were sleeping... I'd say if you were at your desk most likely you were wrong. I know people eat lunch and surf the Internet at their desks, but sleeping is one thing that just never looks good at the workplace.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sleeping at the desk can get you on a performance improvement plan.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would never sleep at my desk, it is highly unprofessional. It sounds like you didn't get in trouble though, so just make sure not to do it again.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea u were wrong. No sleeping at desks, however I have seen exec sleep under their desks. ( That's and exception) Go to your car. Don't do that at the desk. I take a **** on other companies floor
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tmtex wrote: »
    ...however I have seen exec sleep under their desks.

Was his name George Costanza? icon_lol.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    What happens when a director or important customer drops in to the office to find staff sleeping at their desk?

It makes the team look like something out of Sergeant Bilko where anything goes and there is no discipline and your boss (and his boss) will get humiliated by the visitor pointing this out to them, or worse. Everyone in the team ends up punished by association because the bosses have to take action to stop it happening again.

You got off lightly here so try to understand why it was irresponsible and learn from the mistake.

Next time, go get a coffee or Red Bull.

thanks
    Iain
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Was his name George Costanza? icon_lol.gif

Oh God, and Mr. Steinbrenner constantly babbling...."Quick, everyone under the desk!"
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't try to apply logic or reason to this-- it just looks bad and the manager-types will get in a big kerfuffle over this type of thing, especially if the corporate culture is really terrible. People higher up the food chain can be lacking when it comes to empathy and understanding for the workers if not downright contemptuous.

At my former workplace, there was actually room with a couple of beds people could use just for that purpose, since the management there had respect for their engineering staff and knew a 24-hour marathon was sometimes unavoidable or that general worker productivity could be improved with a short nap.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm surprised at the responses. There's some cultures where having a nap during the day is encouraged, and yes at your desk. I know someone who worked in an office where everyone had a work issued pillow that they'd pull out from under their desk and literally sleep at their keyboard for 20 minutes. There's science showing it benefits your health and productivity. It's really outdated thinking to immediately dismiss the idea.

Having said that, it all really depends on your job, and the logistics and culture of your workplace.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Nah, you aren't wrong. Your workplace is just a bit confused about its priorities. Also, unpaid OT? That sucks and is a sign of a company that can't get its shtuff together.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sheiko37 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the responses. There's some cultures where having a nap during the day is encouraged, and yes at your desk. I know someone who worked in an office where everyone had a work issued pillow that they'd pull out from under their desk and literally sleep at their keyboard for 20 minutes. There's science showing it benefits your health and productivity. It's really outdated thinking to immediately dismiss the idea.

Having said that, it all really depends on your job, and the logistics and culture of your workplace.

While you're right, most of the US isn't like that at all. Most companies here still think working from home is bad and you must be screwing around when a lot of the employees are even more productive that way and work even longer hours remotely for the same cost.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wrong or not, personally i have not done it and will not do it. If i'm extremely tired i go to the parking lot and put the chair down in my car to take a quick power break. You know the saying, never give people reasons to get you in trouble.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most work places that I've been to required you to leave the office when going on break/lunch. It's mostly a politics thing, if a VP walks through and sees everyone doing non-work tasks (sleeping,browsing internet,eating, ect) the manager / supervisors get in trouble and it just makes the department look bad if a non-VP sees it and talks about it with his friends.
    "Why does X department just sit at their desks eating food?"
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    looks unprofessional. go sit in your car and nap on your breaks or find some other place outside of the building
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Should have napped in your car.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I bet if you were to actually dig into this the problem would be that you said you are working unpaid OT. That is illegal in most cases and if management is aware they increase the companies liability. They probably want you out of the way so you won't blab again if someone else runs across you.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even if you're on your own time you still have to realize how it looks to people that don't know you're on break.

If my employee was doing that though I wouldn't make a big deal out of it the first time.
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    If you're working OT for free might wanna just nip it in the bud and find a new gig...
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You were wrong in that you can do what you like on a lunch break. But as others have pointed out, all one outside of you can assume is you are sleeping on the job. As a non-technical example, years ago I was a manager at a movie theater and we made the rule that if you were on break if you stayed in the theater you were to remove your work shirt. Customers don't know you're on break and we were constantly getting complaints that a worker would not help them only to find out the person was on break. Perception is reality, unfortunately, so you just have to roll with it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You weren't wrong, but it's not something that can give you a good look in the eyes of your supervisors. I personally napped a lot when I had a two-hour one-way commute, but only when no one was able to see that. Don't do that in open office space, you'll have your points go down almost everywhere for that.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    yeah man I wouldn't let anyone catch me sleeping. people passing by might think funny because they don't know that you are on a break.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Napping during the middle of the day without pulling an all nighter or something similar is generally considered a "no-no", particularly when your still on probation and can be released without warning. In this case it involves learning good time management skills. No matter how appropriate you feel the nap to be at the time, there is a time and place to do such. Yes, the car would be more appropriate. Moving the car to another parking lot and away from prying eyes - pro forma!

Can you imagine having a customer or client walk through right after being taken out to lunch only to find tech support all snoozing at their desks? Ask yourself how you'd feel about working with this group of people both as a colleague or as a customer.

For the record. I have had many a night sleeping under my desk using nothing more than my jacket as a pillow, at night time. Been so tired I fell a sleep standing up once on patrol but thats not uncommon if you are familiar with the course. LOL.

Take yourself out of the equation and look at the situation from HR or your supervisor's point of view and get back with us. icon_redface.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    sharansinghsharansingh Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whats wrong in it.You didn't do anything wrong. Why they react to you like this?? that's not fare.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless there is some precedent of napping at your desk then I would say it you should have moved to a break area. It is not a common practice in any of the offices I have been to. As you indicate you are still under probation this is the type of thing I would probably inquire about before doing. With that said it sounds like the company was very reasonable about it.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Don't sleep at your desk - really bad example and even if acceptable I wouldn't do it.

I've taken naps plenty of times during lunch and breaks - but do it away from work in your car or at home if you live close enough.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Those saying that napping at the desk is OK, where are you in the corporate food chain? Are you in a senior or leadership position? I really doubt that anyone in that group will find this acceptable.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not against napping at work. There are, however, places you should and shouldn't nap. Napping in a open area in a cube with a lot of people around you seems like a bad idea to me.

Being able to nap at work and finding a place to nap at work really depends on the company/building/department culture.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm baffled anyone would even have to ask this question.... of course sleeping at your desk is wrong!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm baffled anyone would even have to ask this question.... of course sleeping at your desk is wrong!

Yeah, It really depends on your work environment. I have worked in some SCIF's where access was controlled and it was not a big deal since no "customers" were walking around. But in other cube farms where certain management types or customers would be around, this is definitely a no no.
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next