Options

Not so happy with my current job and looking for maybe MS in IT ? But what?

masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been a Network Analyst for 1 and 1/2 years, mainly working on Juniper devices, Cisco phone system and some other unrelated BS work (I work in a small company so you know how it goes).

I feel I am more than ready for a change, perhaps still in the networking field in a different company?

However, I have been reading some stuff about Infosec and I find it somewhat interesting. I would like to hear from you all if its worth it pursuing a MS Degree in IT CyberSecurity & Information Asssurance or perpharps a second bachelors in Networking ?

I currently have BS in Comp Science (not a big fan of programming), and I have JNCIA, Win 7, and working on CCNA R&S certs.

I am not sure where to go from here, but at my point in life, money matters.

Again, I like networking field but sometimes I see that less tech and more management is where the money is.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Do what interests you. Sometimes, it is not all about the 'money'.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you already have a related degree in the field I wouldn't suggest another bachelors degree. And I'd dip your toe in the waters first before diving into a masters in information assurance.

I'd suggest self-studying (professor messer/gibson) the Sec+ materials and see what you think first. If you decide that's a path you want to continue you could decide to do a masters or do more certs.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    masdrobedamasdrobeda Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do what interests you. Sometimes, it is not all about the 'money'.

I agree with you. However, I find both fields interesting. It is coming down to what is better to have: Another BS in IT Security or MS in CyberSecurity? Maybe highly subjective question. But I feel like a little lost and I really need a change, at least working somewhere else for sure.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well, send out some resumes..see if you get a response. In the meantime, read books/articles/etc.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since you already have a related degree in the field I wouldn't suggest another bachelors degree. And I'd dip your toe in the waters first before diving into a masters in information assurance.

I'd suggest self-studying (professor messer/gibson) the Sec+ materials and see what you think first. If you decide that's a path you want to continue you could decide to do a masters or do more certs.

Agree with this. You have a BS in CS which is like the gold standard, no need for a 2nd BS. Don't jump to infosec because you've read an article or heard that market is hot, you need a real passion for that. Start digging in on your own and if you really fall in love with it start with security certs.

If you think you still like networking and just want to change jobs, you already have a degree and a few certs, just brush up your resume and apply elsewhere and go from there.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    During your network admin or sys admin work do you ever have these thoughts...This is a risk to the company, this could potentially be a liability to the company, this could be possibly be misused, this does not follow the proper industry standards, this is not a best practice, this could cost money to the company, this is not implemented correctly, this flaw or bug or hole has no compensating controls, this should have a secondary protection layer etc etc. If those thoughts cross your mind then you might be ready for Infosec, if those thoughts never cross your mind, then you are not ready. Notice that i started with Risk, mitigsting Risk is the ultimate and fundemental nasic thought and every infosec person wakes up in the morning and thinks about.