Options

ccent/ccna

kcayangyangkcayangyang Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
this is my first time here on this website, I wanted to get into the IT field, I currently work for Honda as their bumper to bumper technician and its time to switch careers, I would like to go with ccna but do I really need ccent? if that's the case should I just go to the cisco website and purchase their online demand video for ccna or ccent? I was thinking about going to intense school and the next boot camp is in aug 15, 2016 through aug 21, 2016 in las vegas, I also found ccbootcamp in las vegas are these boot camps advisable? and since it is a crash course I would assume you won't retain or absorb knowledge? I already had put pto in my job to register but I am having cold feet plus I have no experience. All answers could help! thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like to go with ccna but do I really need ccent?

You can get your CCNA certification in one of two ways: An all-in-one exam (200-125 CCNA v3), or in two halves (100-105 ICND1/CCENT v3 and 200-105 ICND2 v3). Both end up costing about the same as the combined exam is twice the price of the two individual exams. If going for the 2-exam route you MUST pass ICND1 (also called CCENT) before you can take ICND2, once you have both you are CCNA. The main advantage of this route is that if you fail it's costing you less to retake each time.
  • Options
    GDaines wrote: »
    You can get your CCNA certification in one of two ways: An all-in-one exam (200-125 CCNA v3), or in two halves (100-105 ICND1/CCENT v3 and 200-105 ICND2 v3). Both end up costing about the same as the combined exam is twice the price of the two individual exams. If going for the 2-exam route you MUST pass ICND1 (also called CCENT) before you can take ICND2, once you have both you are CCNA. The main advantage of this route is that if you fail it's costing you less to retake each time.

Thanks for your reply gdaines, I was wondering do you think a crass course 6 days will help me knowledge wise for ccent and ccna? or I am I better off doing it self study wise through cisco on demand? Thanks!!
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply gdaines, I was wondering do you think a crash course 6 days will help me knowledge wise for ccent and ccna? or I am I better off doing it self study wise through cisco on demand? Thanks!!

You risk information overload where information starts to go in one ear and straight out the other and you're sitting there thinking "I've no idea what he's just said". With boot camps, and I'm going by what I've heard as I have no actual experience, I believe you get 'homework' that'll keep you working well into the night so it's not just 7 hours of study but 10, 12 or 14 hours every day. How anyone can then take an exam and pass I'll never understand as I certainly couldn't. And will you remember much of what you learned a month later? I doubt it. But then I'm old so my brain doesn't work the same as someone that's only just finished school so age may be a factor in whether or not a crash course is a good idea or not.

Personally I prefer slow and steady. When you don't understand something, stick with it and get information from other sources until you do. Try to practice everything on real equipment (or SIMS if you have to, but you get so much more out of the real thing). The trouble with this method, and now I am speaking from experience, is that you could be studying for far too long and not be getting anywhere so find yourself a year down the line still without a certification.

You have to decide what's best for you and balance slow enough for it to sink in and you remember it with quick enough to get you certified and on the path to your chosen career.
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second GDaines in that CCNA material isn't something that you can go through a week long crash course in and retain. I guess it could be possible with a certain level of experience already in the field.
    If you are completely new to IT, I would recommend trying out Network+ as it builds a good foundation for CCENT. It will also give you a good indication of networking field in general and how you like it (or dislike it).
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    Thank you guys for such of an insight and I really appreciate it! now its just thinking about going nice and slow to retain or just crash course and hopefully i'll remember it because its not me paying for it, its my father who really wants me to get certified. He's actually working at world wide technologies as their network designer and it intrigues me and as for most jobs i'll have to start from the bottom again just like when I first came into the automotive industry but hopefully in the long run studying in the IT i'll gain much knowledge just like automobiles. Once again thanks for the insight guys!
  • Options
    delanajerodelanajero Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the world of IT :) there has never been a more exciting time than today. actually there's never really a perfect time to be in IT as long as you decide for yourself to just start doing it. Congratulations on making that decision to jump into certifications as well.

If you are new in IT, it really depends on how motivated you are. Aug is probably too close to get into a bootcamp if you are starting from scratch. Take your time to sink in to networking, build labs, watch videos, CBT nuggets is a good starting point.

If you really want to force yourself, book your exam 3-6 months from now:) yes it may sound crazy, I learnt that from Renee Molenaar of NetworkLessons. Of course set a goal for yourself, once you set a goal, plan out how you'd set up your calendar to achieve little steps towards that goal. When I studied for my CCNA RS i got a calendar mapping out different topics until the day I took the exam.

CCNA RS is doable as long as you have the passion and the drive to learn the technology. Take it from me and the other guys who have gone before you:)
  • Options
    delanajero wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of IT :) there has never been a more exciting time than today. actually there's never really a perfect time to be in IT as long as you decide for yourself to just start doing it. Congratulations on making that decision to jump into certifications as well.

If you are new in IT, it really depends on how motivated you are. Aug is probably too close to get into a bootcamp if you are starting from scratch. Take your time to sink in to networking, build labs, watch videos, CBT nuggets is a good starting point.

If you really want to force yourself, book your exam 3-6 months from now:) yes it may sound crazy, I learnt that from Renee Molenaar of NetworkLessons. Of course set a goal for yourself, once you set a goal, plan out how you'd set up your calendar to achieve little steps towards that goal. When I studied for my CCNA RS i got a calendar mapping out different topics until the day I took the exam.

CCNA RS is doable as long as you have the passion and the drive to learn the technology. Take it from me and the other guys who have gone before you:)
    Thank you delanajero, I will be reviewing the cbt nuggets and signing up for the cisco on demand which is around $500 bucks and instead of jumping the gun I will slowly learn networking as I am also taking online classes at CTU online university for my BSIT in network management, thanks for the heads up!