Options

How do you volunteer for experience? I'm willing to work for free. Help!

icon_cry.gif How do you volunteer for experience? I'm willing to work for free to get experience in the IT field. I did some research and most volunteer website don't even have Network related jobs. It seems very difficult to find volunteer jobs for Networking, Network admin, NOC jobs, or Network engineer. I see my local State College post internships every few month for student working for their bachelor degree in Information system. But I don't know how it works when you get example self study CCNA certification. How do you find a job your first job? I know my local State University post internships. Internship usually require you to be already register to a four-year university in IT. How do you do get your foot in the door if you don't have those requirements?

I have 2 ideas will these work?

1.Can you just upload your resume to Recruiters and they will some how come back with jobs (if you i can acquire my CCNA ...etc? 2. Should I go for the CCNP R&S and become more valuable to the market? What should I do?icon_confused.gif: icon_study.gif

I hope to hear you, thank so much.

Comments

• Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where are you located? Do you already have CCNA? I was kinda confused by your post. Do you belong to any clubs or go to any church/synagogue/mosque? Decentralized non-profits like a local religious institution would be your best bet to volunteer, IMO.
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    I'm located in Los Angles, California. No I'm still studying for the CCENT. I don't belong to any clubs. How do i start joing a Decentralized non-profits? Are there websites are do i have to look locally?

Does any body have a story base on they have no experience, got certified (CCNA) and got there first job? I would love to hear ya['ll share your success story. thanks.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Search LinkedIn for volunteer gigs.

- b/eads
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I started my career with a volunteering opportunity at a non-profit. You may have to do some networking, possibly in some local tech meet up groups. You can also look on volunteermatch.org or go on Craigslist and post what you have to offer; I have acquaintances that have found temporary work on there.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Do some 'networking' and make connections. So, the old fashioned way, by joining a group - BNI, ToastMasters, Chuch, whatever works, and mention your abilities and your offer (after you develop some friendships) and you may gain some recommendations that way. If you already belong to such groups, and you have some good contacts, offer up a business card or inquire who you could speak with at the acquaintance's company about gaining a couple week internship or such. Obviously, due to security clearances some business will be a hard 'no' on this, but there are companies what you may get into. Likewise, once speaking with HR or the team leader you may offer a trade of this job shadow, in return you continue your education and will work for them for at least 2 years (or whatever makes sense), they may see it as an investment in grooming a new employee.

It will really be up to you, and how your personality comes across to people, to figure out the best method of asking for this sort of assignment. You will need to be creative, but these opportunities frequently develop from relationships you have or can make with local people.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    volunteermatch.com is another good one. Ive seen quite a few positions open in Minneapolis.
  • Options
    [h=2]Basic computer skills assistance[/h]Volunteer opportunities at a branch of the Orange County Public Libraries.
    Looking for volunteers who can help others with basic computer and Internet skills.

Does volunteer jobs such as this simple one count to put on the resume?
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Basic computer skills assistance

Volunteer opportunities at a branch of the Orange County Public Libraries.
    Looking for volunteers who can help others with basic computer and Internet skills.

Does volunteer jobs such as this simple one count to put on the resume?

Yup! 7char
  • Options
    thanks! I will start building resume by volunteering!