Options

Would you apply for a job again if you got rejected the first time?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would you apply for a job again if you got rejected the first time?

what do you think??

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sure why not? Worst they can do is say is no again.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Maybe? How long ago were you rejected? I would hope this is a new posting or a reposting of the position they have yet to fill. If it is simply that they rejected you on Tuesday, but you want to reapply on Wednesday for the same role, I'd say 'not'.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah good point by Plantiz. I kinda assumed it was after some period of time/new posting. Not like right away.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sure. As long as there has been a decent time frame from the rejection to thinking of applying again.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I've had employers come back to me after I rejected them, so why not?
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I've applied to Cisco's positions like 6-7 times in a timespan of 5 years and eventually got hired hahahaha
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did they say why you were rejected?

For my current role, I was initially rejected by HR because I did not speak the local language of the country where the position is located. I replied requesting to have my CV forwarded to the hiring manager anyways so that I can receive feedback on my skills. I was contacted by the hiring manager for an interview after that.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on who rejected you. If you got all the way to the hiring manager and they turned you down, then no I wouldn't apply again. But if your pretty sure your resume never made it past HR, then yes I would apply again. More often then not HR is clueless what applications to forward to the hiring manager for technical positions.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have , interviewed, wasn't hired then see a few months later they are hiring for it again. LOL , never heard anything the 2nd time
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It really does depend on the situation.

I know for a fact there are some companies that run aptitude test, such as the wonderlic IQ test and if you do poorly you will not get a second shot. Some organizations philosophies are focused heavily on standard performance testing. If your IQ rates below a certain score you don't meet the matrix of intelligence and are viewed as not being able to perform the job.

I had an interview with a data company ~ 2 years ago for a data analyst position. I was told I passed the threshold and would be allowed to interview, the score I believe at the time was 30+ out of 50. Any applicant under 30 was immediately rejected for the position.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    But if your pretty sure your resume never made it past HR, then yes I would apply again.

Exactly! I always want to ensure I get beyond the internal recruiter. If the manager says no then so be it.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I applied to my current job twice. There was a year between each application. I feel like the first interview actually helped me get the job a lot more easily the second time around.

1) I was more prepared and understood what kind of questions would be asked.
    2) I was able to show improvement. I was much more knowledgeable on the things they thought I was coming up short on a year prior.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    There is one local data center that I worked at for a few months a couple years ago. Although my job there wasn't directly data center related, I got to do some stuff and I liked the place, but the pay rate was horrifically low. Like $11.50 an hour LOW. I eventually left for a $7 an hour raise for a desktop support job, I gave the full 2 weeks notice and everything.

Now, 3 years later, I want back in. I am trying to do data center work and this would be an EXCELLENT place to be. It is one of the biggest and best data centers in my area. I've driven to the addresses of several data centers around here and glared at the buildings, trying to brain transmit into them, using the force, like "YOU WILL HIRE ME". But now these people won't hire me or even call for an interview. I've applied about 6 times in the past year and a half. I've been to 2 local IT job recruiting events in that time, and their same HR woman is there, I spoke to her twice, very nicely and professionally, and nothing. I recently called the service desk of the building I worked in, and they gave me the email for the IT director (who hired me the first time), and I asked her directly about it, and gave her an updated resume and told her my details, and kind of got brushed off with a "I will forward your request to the department that is hiring for that job". And of course no one ever got back to me.

What's their problem? Do they have some sort of policy that once you work there and leave, you can never come back?

These bastards are going to re-hire me sooner or later. I am persistent. Like herpes or hemmoroids.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ofcourse I would reapply. I've applied to specific company and have been reject 3 times. All 3 times they cannot provide a good reason why they've rejected my application.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    These bastards are going to re-hire me sooner or later. I am persistent. Like herpes or hemorrhoids.

You sound like the perfect candidate....... for a restraining order.

Don't know why you want to get be in so bad, if they rejected you 6 times, I think it's time to move on. If you made it far as the hiring manager and got rejected, your finished there, at least until they get a new manager. Have you considered relocating?
    All 3 times they cannot provide a good reason why they've rejected my application.

LOL. they don't need a good reason. Or any reason at all.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also something else to keep in mind. The way people change jobs now if it's been more than two years there is a good chance the same folks that rejected you are no longer there anyway.
  • Options
    I've applied to specific company and have been reject 3 times. All 3 times they cannot provide a good reason why they've rejected my application.

Sounds like how I got my wife. :D
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I applied as a desktop tech, got an interview and then rejected. I immediately reapplied for an open network position at the same company, was brought in for an interview with the team and I was hired 3 weeks later. Turns out they had someone they wanted internally for the desktop position but they liked my attitude and took a chance on me for the network job. It felt a bit awkward immediately applying for the job but I didn't have anything to lose so I took a chance and it paid off nicely!