Options

Sybex 4th Edition CISA Study Guide?

coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
CISA: Certified Information Systems Auditor Study Guide 4th Edition
by David L. Cannon (Author), O'Hara (Contributor), Allen Keele (Contributor)
Paperback: 696 pages
Publisher: Sybex; 4 edition (March 14, 2016)

Anyone buy / use this Sybex CISA study guide?

Yes, I have the official ISACA study guide, just picked up the official ISACA Q&A

but the official guide is so dry, sometimes I read a few pages only to go what did I just read?
I understand the concepts & the subject matter, the material is not foreign to me (15+ years in IT) but just feel I want another voice. So for $25.77 (price has dropped recently, camelcamelcamel had it hovering around $42) so I just picked this Sybex guide up. I am spending over $750 on the exam, membership & official study guide/questions, why not a little more. I am in the self study mode & want to pass the 1st time!

Anyway, just looking for thoughts & feedback from anyone who might have already read/used it?

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any book that can help you understand the concepts more clearly will be helpful but remember Isaca Review manual is the sacred text as boring as it is, thats where the questions will come from for the most part. The Q&A should be helpful as well. Aim for 80% minimum consistently without memorization of questions and you will do just fine on the real exam. Good Luck
  • Options
    coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I picked this up & really enjoying reading it so far.
    I have already given the offical material / study guide it's 1st reading & it is very dry. This Sybex Study guide actually has some life!

Chapter 2
    Governance

"We need to start with the basic definitions of politics versus the truth and ethical behavior. Politics is effectively defined as having a different agenda and often includes using deceit, lies, or willful omission."
    David Cannon
    CISA Study Guide Sybex 4th Edition

& then reading about the BSC in this chapter gave me a glimmer of understanding. The offical ISACA study material material on it had me so lost.
    Yes I will go back & re-read much of the offical study guide & use the offical Q&A but everyone should consider reading this. After I finish reading (& maybe after the exam), I will report back with my full thoughts but so far I like it.
  • Options
    john.m.jones123john.m.jones123 Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought it and used it (Kindle version) primarily because ITPro.tv used it in conjunction with their videos kind of like a text book... referred back to the CISA CRM 2016 when I had any questions/concerns... worked out okay for me!
    MSIT | PMP | CISSP | CISM | CISA | CDPSE | CAPM | ITIL | CEH | CCNA CyberOps | Sec+ | Net+ | A+ | MCTS | MCP | MS 365 Desktop
    2020 Goals: CRISC
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using it now. Comes highly recommended, I'll be using it instead of the official ISACA book (though I might buy the testbank) so we'll see how good it is come December.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The amazon reviews state other wise...
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    The amazon reviews state other wise...

I just read the big "negative" review on there. What he says about the scorecard is kind of right, but the author doesn't wait until the end of the section to tell you that. He states up front "ISACA really just wants you to know it exists", not at the end of the section. I read it anyway.

To each their own. I think it, combined with the online access to the quizzes, is a good deal at the current price. I may still buy some ISACA materials depending on my confidence level after finishing it.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    akucakuc Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any recent update for this ebook? I got for version below 2016. What the different?