Trying to Cut Commute

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
I have an hour each way to work and also work odd hours. This makes it hard for me to find time to study. As a recent grad with not a lot of cash saved up, how much would you suggest spending on an apartment? I currently live in Seattle and work an hour south. I want to cut my commute shorter so I have extra time and am not spending two hours driving everyday. The thing is the marketplace here is booming, apartments in Seattle are going for $1,500 and where I'm looking at they're around $1,000. Would it be worth it to invest in the apartment in order to get my certifications and move up (dumb question). I'm just looking for some advice because I don't really know what I should do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did that early in my career, but the rent was significantly lower in my area. What will you have to give up to pay the increased rent? Are there other expenses associated with the move? Is it worth it for the study time?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    What is you working day/week in terms of hours? An hours commute is nothing out of the ordinary - I used to have to drive 2 hours through London in the morning and 3 hours back at night yet still found ways to fit in studies and pass 6 ITIL intermediate exams.

If you are serious then there are loads of ways to get your studying built into your routine, but you have to want to make the change (to your routine) badly enough.

Think about:
    1 - get to work an hour early (when it is beneficial for traffic) and study for that hour.
    2 - as in 1) but stay an hour late
    3 - use your journey. find audio books or just the audio from training videos instead of music to give you input.
    4 - use lunchtimes fully. Get away from your desk, eat a sandwich while studying and set an alarm so you aren't late back
    5 - as for study time at work - do it where you can be seen if approved and don't mess about
    6 - use your days off. Reschedule your social life and it is amazing what you can fit in.
    7 - avoid heavy meals and slow to digest foods as these sap your alertness
    8 - get up early, have a shower and a coffee and study before your day normally starts.
    9 - use caffeinated drinks sensibly - use them about 20 mins before studying to raise your alertness and use in moderation so you are not "wired".
    10 - get a study buddy who will push you to keep up progress.

There is no need to move if you don't need to and you are probably going to find the place with cheap apartments has lower rates too, so that $500/month will drop from your potential salary.

The sacrifices you need to make when working full time, commuting and trying to improve yourself are very different from the easy life of a student, but once you break the inertia it isn't too bad. The rewards are worth the pain if you can keep it to a few months a year of focus and the rest of the time just doing it for the interest value (ie keeping up with developments in your chosen technology route).

Working life can suck, but find ways to make it work for you.

Just ask on these boards if you want any more specific advice and there are loads of great people here who will help.

Good luck
    Iain
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Have you looked into a roommate? At least until you can move up a bit and pay your own way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try looking at it from a general quality of life viewpoint too, not only certs/studying. I know others have longer commutes, they always will, but let's assume you move 15 mins away instead of the 60 you are now. So, save 1.5 hours a day, 7.5 hours a week, 360ish hours a year if you take 2 weeks vacation. So basically like 9 extra weeks of "work" a year, 40 hour weeks, for up to 6K a year. Note, just woke up, might be wrong, hah.

As others said, consider a roommate. Also, if you move even closer you'd save even more time. If you end up very close and get to ditch the driving then factor in gas, wear/tear, etc, which can be significant.

I made this same move in reverse a few years ago, I was a 5 minute walk down a pleasant street to work. I ended up taking a job around 30 mins away, doesn't sound like a big deal but I had to buy a 2nd car, more insurance, gas, there is a lot to factor in. I did it for a big pretty job upgrade but I have to admit when I get stuck in traffic and it takes me an hour+ to get home I drive past my old workplace and think about my old "commute".
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    If you are comfortable doing this and want roommates, go on craigslist and search the "rooms wanted" or whatever section it is. It is usually, at least here in Georgia, a lot cheaper to rent a room out with either roommates who are in a house or rich people who have giant houses and just want to rent a room out.
  • pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the suggestions, I just don't think it's feasible for me at this point to afford. I'm just going to have to bear down and find a way to get my studies in.
  • CMalon02CMalon02 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just be careful what you wish for. I cut my hour commute down to 15 mins but the job I have now isn't really challenging me. What I gained in getting home quicker I lost in on the job duties.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Instead of thinking about studying in terms of hours spent think in physiological terms of 20 minutes at a time. Twenty minutes by the way is what your short term memory holds. Take a quick break and review for a minute. Go over the text or study materials again to commit to long term memory and you will remember more than trying to cram hours into your head at once.

You do have 20 minutes to study right? How many 20 minute study times can you fit into your schedule today?

Audio books and downloadable podcasts also help. Excellent list from UncleB

- b/eads
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for the roommate idea.

Probably someone in your shoes with an apartment that needs to lower their costs.

Also, may look near a college area. I don't know the Seattle-area well, but I do know that UW is likely close. Maybe somewhere in there is a place you can kind a roommate or two. Just make sure you find someone that is looking for the same things as you... the ability to study... otherwise you might get the party animals.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro