Options

How much should i expect?

MicroScoMicroSco Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
Total experience: 3 years (1 year desktopn support, 2 years system admin)
Certification: CCNA, VCP 5.5, MCSA 2012, LINUX+.

No real life experience on CISCO devices. Mainly worked as windows admin for the last two years and also have experience on administering vmware for more than a year. Have basic knowledge on LINUX and also worked as backup admin (Netbackup and DLO)

Can anyone give me some insight about how much can someone expect or target in NYC area?? Moving there in October.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's your job role? Sysadmin? Best bet is to find your expected title and zip code you think you'll be working in and check any of the salary sites. Different industries are going to have different pay scales and also different levels of stress, meaning don't expect to get paid the same in a k-12 school as you would in finance.
  • Options
    MicroScoMicroSco Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes Sysadmin. I do understand that salary depends on many factors. And to be fair, I need to move for some family issue and gonna stay in Queens area. I already did some search online and says something around 60-70K (for windows admins). However, would like to have some input from people who actually work there.
  • Options
    Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Search dice, indeed to have some insight.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NYC is such a weird place to compare. There's plenty of big companies, mid size companies, small companies etc etc and they dont all pay the same for the same job function or position. It all depends on location, the company you will be working for, your experience, the industry the company operates in etc etc. If you have a car, you might be able to command a good job in LI since not a lot of people go there and there is demand for IT staff in LI.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    one million dollars
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I say One million Mexican pesos, which is about 53k US Dollars. Really depends on how long you can wait to get a job. If you need something right away, your going to have the take the first thing available, which probably mean contractor work, which will be on the lower end of the pay scale. If you can afford to wait for the "right" job, your looking at the higher end of the pay scale.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in NYC. My friend is a Sysadmin for a CUNY school making 55k and he had no official title as a sys admin before this current job. He was making images for the school with the actual responsibilities of a lowly computer lab tech. Also he has no certs. So I would say more than what he is making.