Options

JNCIA newbie. Where do I start?

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
I'm on a network that has Juniper equipment, mainly SRX series and a few switches, but we're mainly Cisco. I was tasked with learning Juniper and I figure if I'm gonna learn, I might as well go in all the way and up the credentials too, if possible. I have access to some training material and, although I have access to the equipment, I'd rather have my own "lab" equipment to play with so I won't burn the place down on the live stuff.

What is a good path to go down? Where do I start? I'd like to do this as free as possible and on my own time. I hear there are VMs, and also GNS3... and I also read about free fast track learning? Are there good videos & video sets? Is there one exam or more? Sorry for the ignorance, I'm just looking for quick info from some folks who've done this and I'm just getting my feet wet. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    Basically use the fast track PDFs , fast track mobile app and CBT nuggets along with Junos olive in Gns3 and ur set.
  • Options
    nk4512nk4512 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If your work uses them, i would assume you "should" have an extra srx and hopefully an EX something laying around right? if so, set them up with a term server and you're set. You can use multiple logical interfaces on the srx to simulate different routers. Switching though you would atleast want more than 1 EX as those arn't virtual yet, but i believe they have some sort of virtual switches on their sites you could use as a trial, but you would need to set it up on a linux server if i remember right.
    And the srx does do some switching but not all.
  • Options
    maton91maton91 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, also looking to go for a JNCIA cert.

Would it be worth purchaing the JUNOS for Dummies book? Is there any equipment I should look to buy off eBay?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can only chime in on the security track but the Fast Track training material should be enough.
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I can only chime in on the security track but the Fast Track training material should be enough.

Ok, thank you for your help :)
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    Passed! Watched videos (albeit old that my job provided), used some various reading material and had some equipment at work to use. Pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job, i need to renew mine, expires in October
  • Options
    Fadakartel wrote: »
    Basically use the fast track PDFs , fast track mobile app and CBT nuggets along with Junos olive in Gns3 and ur set.

Where can I obtain this please?

Are there any lab tutorials I could follow?