Options

My first IT job...

hades18hades18 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was hired for this postion this week. This is my first IT job after graduating with an Associates in Computer Network Systems, and I am also A+ certified.
I think this is a pretty good job to get a foot into the IT door, and start gaining some actual experience. What do you others think of this opportunity??

It is a Field Technician job. I will spend 90% of my time setting up temporarily computer sites for companies like Penn Dot(road construction company). I will be setting up desktops, laptops, scanners, and printers. I am also responsible for fixing/troubleshooting this equipment, and tearing down these stations when they are done. I get a company vehicle, but I have to leave it at the office, but at least i dont have to use mine to drive on the road. The other 10% I will be help/learning other network field technicans, and help repair other computers/components at the office.

$11.28/hr to start with a raise after 6 months....
40hrs a week and possibly overtime on occasion
Paid Holidays
Paid weeks vacation for 1st year
healthcare + dental....
3 paid personal days to start

Opinions?

Hades18

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I would say that it sounds like the job you need. In 6 months to a year, you will have gained more experience than you can imagine.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Congrats! Doesn't sound bad at all and you will definatly get to learn alot. Is it in a rural area or a big city?
  • Options
    johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    GOOD JOB!! I'd be thrilled if I was you, that sounds awesome! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATULATIONS :D:D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Options
    I am pleased to hear everyone that responded thinks this is a great opportunity. I agree and believe it will be good experience, and I will learn alot from this.

Thanks

Hades18
  • Options
    jiggy79jiggy79 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hades18,

Where are you from? Tomorrow I have a job interview out here in South San Francisco, CA as a Field Service Technician similiar job description.

James
  • Options
    I am quite far away from you on the other side of the country. I am located in pittsburgh, PA. Good luck with your interview. I start my new job Mon, and excited and a little nervous.

Hades18
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where did you get your Associates from? CCAC, one of the local tech schools, somewhere else?

Sounds like a good job to get experience with. any idea how much of a raise you will get?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I got my degree from ITT Tech. Also, ITT is how I got an interview for this company. ITT had a great career service department and they really helped me get interviews. I had this job 3 weeks after i graduated. From what we discussed in the interview I think they will raise me up to between 27k-30k, as long as they view me as a good employee and hard worker.

Hades18