Options

is sybex ccna book (lammle) v4 still usefull?

faypythonfaypython Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi
i have a sybex ccna book v4 ,can i stick to it for the exam?
& also what area did in v5 changed?

Comments

• Options
    romainromain Member Posts: 222
    To study Cisco exams the better advice is to use Cisco Press books.

That's what I did and advise you icon_wink.gif
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    faypython wrote:
    hi
    i have a sybex ccna book v4 ,can i stick to it for the exam?
    & also what area did in v5 changed?
    It looks like the main topic areas are still the same -- but they added some more content somewhere. It still is reasonably current, so it really depends on your experience (and how lucky you feel).

The Cisco Press books cover all the material that could be on the exams, and as Cisco adds questions, the new stuff still seems to still be in the Cisco Press books. The 3rd party books like Sybex seem to focus just on the topics covered in the current exam -- so you run the risk of "giving up" on 5-10% of the new current exam material.

The v4 Sybex book is newer than the 2003 Cisco Press books -- so all the topics should be there. Hum -- where the heck is NAT in the v5 book?

Ah... NAT. If those couple of pages in the Sybex 5th are it -- that demonstrates what I was talking about. NAT is now an important CCNA topic.... but Sybex is still lacking on material. See if there is a download from Sybex that covers NAT. If there is, that might fill the major gap in the Sybex book -- v4 or v5.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    looks like i have to buy the cisco press book now icon_sad.gif
    Now working full time!