Options

Sun SPARC

lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does ANYONE know of a utility that can be used to do a secure (i.e. DoD standard) data wipe on a server running Solaris 2.6 with SPARC processors? A customer wants to retire a server, but is paranoid about their data. Everything I've found seems to work on x86, but not SPARC. I'm getting to the point where a 16 lb. sledge is looking like the best answer! icon_twisted.gif
Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    disk recovery company stellar infomation systems should have what you want here.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/file-eraser.htm

"Stellar Disk Wipe Utility offers a mix of data erasure methods varying from fastest (basic) to rigorous international standards [US Government DoD.5200.22-M (3), US Government DoD.5200.28-STD (7), B. Schneier's algorithm (7 passes)]. "

[edit] I may have spoken too soon while they show sparc for some of their other products when you navigate from the sparc page to erase it shows windows OS's only. Maybe it is just an old page sorry
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    That's what I mean - everything is x86 based, but nothing for SPARC, especially for the server end.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    From what I know, destruction is the only way. I've seen requests for DOD sparc wipers dating back to 1991. When I took Solaris, my instructor always reccomended disk destruction, because it's guaranteed, and it's fun to break stuff.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Thanks, Ricka,

I'm beginning to believe that may BE the answer. I did call Sun, and this guy has a contract with them, but I'm not sure if this old server is covered. If not, Sun would charge time and materials to do it - not really worth it, considering the guy told me most of the drives were less than 4GB.

Safety glasses, please!! STAND BACK!!
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I if your looking for DoD approved ways of destruction here is there memo http://www.drms.dla.mil/turn-in/asdhddispmemo060401.pdf. As far as SPARC goes I'm not sure but you may want to try UniShred Pro at www.lat.com.
  • Options
    Thanks, wastedtime.

I called lat.com, and they DO have a drive erase for SPARC. Don't know how much it costs yet, but thanks for the info. ( I'd still prefer the sledgehammer-good way to vent the "joys" of IT sometimes!!) icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    laneh wrote:
    ( I'd still prefer the sledgehammer-good way to vent the "joys" of IT sometimes!!) icon_lol.gif

Heh ya it does help now and then icon_wink.gif