Options

RIP no auto summary & discontiguous networks.

Llukman1Llukman1 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people,

I am just a little confused why auto summary is bad for discontiguous networks. Would it also be bad if the network was contiguous or just bad with discontiguous networks. I know why we turn off auto summary in order to advertise the subnets but why is it mainly for discontiguous networks?

Also it would great if someone could tell me why when configuring RIPv2 and putting in the network we have to have it in a classful address form? Is it to just have the routing protocol do the job and find the subnet instead of typing them in yourself?

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    auto summary is bad for discontiguous networks. part of the auto summaryed network isn't there because it is discontiguous. But, the routing protocol will advertise that it is. So, if the network that is missing exists elsewhere, traffic intended for it could get routed to the wrong place. resulting in a problem that needs fixing.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    correct me if wrong but in lab setting packets would be dropped or sent to null0,but if it was in real production scenario,you would have issues with with compromising security say you have departments with office workers,and payroll,and them being on same network summarized would mean flaw in security.