Options

CEUs for Security+ help

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im looking into earning CEUs to keep my security+ cert active. The version I took was JKO-O18 (received voucher from a teacher-I think its equivalent to the 301? I took it in 2013)

I have access to govt training via fedvte. Looking at this link: https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/fedvtetraining-v5.pdf?sfvrsn=8

it looks as if the only way I can earn CEUs is from this course: CompTIA Security+ (SY0 - 401) Certification Prep

Its the only one that says for version 301 or earlier. Now, it doesnt mention how many CEUs the course will give. Does it just mean that it will give me all the CEUs required? I checked comptias site and it says I need 50 CEUs for security+.

I just want to make sure that this is the course I need to take before I spend 20 hours studying it.

Comments

• Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    If you have access to a CAC and US Department of Defense websites, try the Ft. Gordon web site. The IA Fundamentals course is worth 40 continuing ed credits for Sec +. Make sure to get a pdf of your certificate to upload to CompTIA. If you are able to put all the pdf files from the course into a single pdf, that will make your testing process a lot quicker. (To be more explicit, CTRL F is an awesome tool. Google [in another window of course] is also quite handy. The test is fairly short c. 20 questions.)

https://ia.signal.army.mil/courses.asp
  • Options
    oh awesome thanks for the suggestion. i do have a CAC as im working for a govt contractor currently, so i should be able to utilize this. ill check with my supervisor tomorrow and take a look at your suggestion and a few others. thanks again
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you can use the FedVTE courses. The Sec+ one is 19 hours (so 19 CEUs). You can tell the length from within FedVTE.

You can choose from many more of the FedVTE courses though. On the list you linked to, you can use any course that says "APPROVED" in the Security+ column. I just recently did 3 FedVTE courses to renew my Sec+.

I find the FedVTE courses to be pretty good.
  • Options
    thanks joe. so thats how its calculated i guess? 1 ceu per hour? well, guess it beats studying to take the test again lol. im sure i spent over 100 hours when i went for sec+
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, exactly. On the info you linked to it explains: "The course duration hours are to be used whenentering CEU hours in a certification record. Please see the training provider course descriptions for durations."

My 3 FedVTE courses totaled 59 CEUs, but CompTIA's web page would only let me input up to 50 CEUs since that's what's required. Not only did that work out great, but one of the courses I took was for SSCP, then I read the SSCP All-in-One, and then I passed the cert exam last Friday. The FedVTE course and the book together were great prep.