How frame relay relays?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
IP address is global unique so dynamic routing is possible. Since DLCIs are local, is it the case the frames are switched in the FR cloud in a static way, that is, at each switch, the DLCIs switch table is manually configured? I don't think CCNA tests this, but just can't help my curiosity whenever I review the FR part.

Comments

• james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't believe frame relay has any form of dynamic updating for DLCIs at all. As you said DLCIs are locally significant, so a frame relay switch must have manually configured frame relay routes configured on every frame relay switch between two destinations.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    frame relay is a packet switching technology.
    you only know your local information, the lmi gives information about your connection to the frame relay cloud. So, you only know the input and the output side (your router and carrier switch at each end). The technology used by the carrier to transport data between the switches is variable and may differ among carriers (i.e., to function, a practical Frame Relay implementation need not rely solely on its own transportation mechanism).