Failed 200-120

carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I let my CCNP expire and now have to start over. I took the composite 200-120 exam and got something like 736 on it. I decided to do what I did before and take the ICND1 then ICND2 exams.

I am using a bunch of online material, some INE videos, CCIE books I have on hand, Chris Bryant videos, and Boson ExSim Max practice tests. I really didn't want to buy the OCG. I felt like with all the higher level books I have and the other things I am using I should be good. That composite test is a good one for sure though.

I am passing the practice tests and scheduled the 100-101 exam for the 12th. Trying to knock it out before it expires and have to learn the new version.

Word to the wise - Don't let the certs expire! Even if you don't think you will need them anymore!

Comments

• GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I purchased and have never read the Cisco Official Cert Guide and still managed to pass ICND1 (albeit by 3 marks, but a pass is still a pass as many people keep saying).

Having taken the composite exam already it must have given you an idea of the questions and topics you'll face, and scoring to identify your weaker subjects, so it should put you in a good place for your ICND1. Good luck.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel your pain, I failed the 200-120 last week, but I'm taking another shot at it tomorrow. (God help me) Good luck on the ICND1!
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GDaines wrote: »
    I purchased and have never read the Cisco Official Cert Guide and still managed to pass ICND1 (albeit by 3 marks, but a pass is still a pass as many people keep saying).

Having taken the composite exam already it must have given you an idea of the questions and topics you'll face, and scoring to identify your weaker subjects, so it should put you in a good place for your ICND1. Good luck.

It did give me an idea of my weak areas for sure. I went straight home and printed out the exam topics and highlighted my weak areas. One thing I was horribly weak in was ACLs. I knew that going into it though so it wasn't a surprise.
    danny069 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, I failed the 200-120 last week, but I'm taking another shot at it tomorrow. (God help me) Good luck on the ICND1!

Good luck tomorrow! One reason I decided to go with ICND1 was I know switching better than routing and from what I understand, you only need 804 to pass rather than 825. It also seems many folks have better luck taking the two test than the composite.
    Took another Boson test last night. I was not pleased with the results. Some of it was stupid mistakes. I will take another tonight or in the morning and see how that goes.

NAT inside outside stuff is kicking my .... I read different explanations and they seem to contradict each other. Some questions are just down right tricky.
    So after struggling to figure out what to study next and doing well on the Boson practice exams, I moved my exam date up to this next Tuesday morning. I googled a little bit and found this which I kinda figured anyway:

When is the best time for taking certification exams? - TechRepublic

I will cram today and Monday and see what happens.
    ICND1 is in the bag! Got an 887.

I was bombarded with questions on one particular topic and got 100% in it. So that sort of debunks a myth that if you miss something they hit you with more of it.

Moving on to ICND2! Hopefully I can get it done before the retirement date of 200-101.
  • wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh man, between ICND1 and ICND2 I failed 3 times by like 2-3 questions lol