Server

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a server wiht vmware for collaborration and the ip address is 192.168.15.1 Whenever I try to use my computer to login to it I cant. i set the ip address of my computer to 192.168.15.x 255.255.255.0 with DG of 192.168.15.x What am i doing wrong??????

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not nearly enough information.... Could be lots of things at this point. Can you ping the device at least?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no i cant ping it
    How are they connected? Are there security measures in place? Can you see MAC addresses? ARP?
    just connected by a ethernet cable, yes I can see macs
    Ok they are connected to a single switch and you see MACs. It's not the network!
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How are you trying to logon to the server? What's the server OS? You mentioned VMWare. Is the server a guest or a host?

Need more info.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fpso wrote: »
    just connected by a ethernet cable, yes I can see macs

Directly connected (you need to use a crossover cable), or via a switch? I assume the latter based on the forum you posted in, but just checking.

Assuming you're connected to a Cisco switch, remove the startup-config to reset the switch and reboot it. Alternatively, make sure all the ports (especially the 2 you're using of course) are in the same VLAN, if they're not you'll need routing to be set up, so easier just to make sure the ports are set the same.

Set an IP address on the VLAN they're in (makes sense just to use the default VLAN 1), and set the default gateway of the server and PC to that address.

Let's say the server is on 15.1, the PC on 15.2 and you've set the VLAN IP (default gateway) to 15.100. Now let's test from end to end.

Make sure any firewall on the PC and server are temporarily disabled just to make sure it's not that blocking the ping.
    Ping 127.0.0.0 on the PC to make sure IP is working.
    Ping 192.168.15.2 on the PC to make sure the card is working.
    Ping 192.168.15.100 on the PC to see if you can talk to the default gateway.
    Ping 192.168.15.1 on the PC to see if you can talk to the server.

If only the last one fails, try pinging 192.168.15.1 from the switch. If the last 2 fail are you sure the switch is working? And your ports are in the same VLAN?
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fpso wrote: »
    I have a server with vmware for collaboration and the ip address is 192.168.15.1 Whenever I try to use my computer to login to it I cant. i set the ip address of my computer to 192.168.15.x 255.255.255.0 with DG of 192.168.15.x What am i doing wrong??????
    How are you trying to logon to the server? What's the server OS? You mentioned VMWare. Is the server a guest or a host?

Need more info.

Agreed. What version of VMware are you running? ESXi, Workstation, Player? And are you trying to access the VMware management interface, remotely log in to the server (Terminal Services/Remote Desktop) or access a virtual client machine that's running on the server?
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a server running exsi that is connected to my home router. It pulls an address from the router (I will set it static later though). In my laptop browser, I just put the IP of the server in the URL window and it goes straight to the server.

If I was doing it like you, I would set the laptop IP gateway to the server and the server gateway to the laptop. They both need to know where to send the traffic. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the right setup.
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, if you are using a switch, as you have hinted at. Then please post the running config, and the MAC table of the switch. Please also post the exact IP address, subnet mask, MAC address, and default gateway of all devices that you are trying to get to communicate. Also, are you trying to connect to the ESXi server VIA the vSphere client, as in connect directly to the Host? Or are you able to connect to the host, but not a guest VM in ESXi?

I'm also assuming that you didn't actually mean the VMWare collaboration bundle, which would be AirWatch and Socialcast bundle. But that you meant ESXi, sorry if I'm wrong on that one.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. turns out the raid controller needs to be replaced on my server