Passed CCNA R&S - What Next?

lsimon305lsimon305 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

First, I want to say this is one of the best resources out there as far as user feedback, suggestions, advice, tips and tricks when it comes to certifications. Big Fan!

So I recently passed the CCNA (took the 2 test approach) and now I'm on the fence on which Cisco path to take next.

I'm currently a Senior Security Engineer Consultant where I work at different companies on various projects. The main solutions we sell are Check Point. I'm currently a Check Point Certified Security Master (CCSM) and apply those skills on a daily basis. I also have several Symantec certs like DLP, SMG, SEP and CCS.

I also have my CISSP, CEH and a few more security certs.

I've found very quickly as a security engineer consultant that no matter which way I cut it it all comes back or through to networking and that is why I'm starting the Cisco journey. I engineer, architect and implement various security infrastructure where 99% of the time the switches and routers in play are Cisco so knowing some of the Cisco commands, terminology and technology helps very much.

As soon as I started studying for the CCNA I instantly saw how it helped within planning/meetings and in the field as I was able to apply those items I've learned right away.

I have touched several ASA's for customers and also routers and switches so now I'm not sure if I should take the CCNA Security at least (first) then go for the CCNP R&S after. I heard that taking the CCNA Security will help when studying for the CCNP R&S because some of the concepts are overlapped.

What do you all think of the CCNA Security and CCNP path given my situation? I'm not a Senior Network Engineer and I can see how getting to the CCIE level would be a smart decision for them but as a security consultant who dabbles in various Cisco gear I'm not sure which path to take just yet. I also work on setting up VOIP (through Check Point Firewalls and Cisco gear) and have my eye on the CCNA Collaboration exam as well.

Lenny

Comments

• Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security really is cisco technology focused if you have alot of there equipment deployed than it would be a good track to study. I am currently studying this with a couple of other topics, as we have ASA deployed within our site
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lsimon305 wrote: »
    What do you all think of the CCNA Security and CCNP path given my situation? I'm not a Senior Network Engineer and I can see how getting to the CCIE level would be a smart decision for them but as a security consultant who dabbles in various Cisco gear I'm not sure which path to take just yet. I also work on setting up VOIP (through Check Point Firewalls and Cisco gear) and have my eye on the CCNA Collaboration exam as well.

If you only dabble then do you even need to go to the time and effort to get a CCNP? I understand the benefits of CCNA Security and CCNA Collaboration, would love to have them both myself, but unless you need the CCNP to land a job or to validate your cost as a contractor then I'm not sure you'll gain much from it. You already have a list of relevant certs for your field of expertise.

Now if you wanted to shift more into networking.... different story.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lenny, Congrats! I just recently passed the CCNA as well and looked into the CCNP exam. While the material looks so much more difficult than the CCNA, I believe the CCNP R&S is worth it. Even Jeremy Ciora from CBT nuggets suggests getting your CCNP first and then branch off if you want, which I agree with. I am debating doing CCNP while networking is still fresh in my mind, however I had planned the CISSP next. So what I'm saying is you should go for your CCNP R&S.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • lsimon305lsimon305 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the feedback.

Both CCNA Sec and CCNP R&S tracks looks promising for me. As a contractor, like it was mentioned by GDaines, it will help valid me in the R&S world so I think it may be worth getting. If my role changes then it may be a different story.