Options

Thoughts on CertMaster for Sec+?

BBirBBir Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Starting to study for my Sec+ . Setting an aggressive date of September 30th for exam take. I am wanting to have the retake option since I am setting, for me, such an aggressive date. My background is Desktop Administration, particular desktop support, OS Deployment, and SCCM administration. However, I am familiar with some security concepts and tools, I just don't mess with them in my day-to-day.

The study material I have started with is Sybex's Security+ Study Guide. They, also, have chapter test exams, flash cards, and a few practice exams. I am looking for other options to use with this guide.

Knowing this, Comptia's site shows that the retake option cost $386, but includes CertMaster for 12-months. Has anyone used this material? Thoughts? is the $386 a good deal? Is the retake option only available in bundles (I hadn't seen anything on Comptia's site, yet saying otherwise).

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I purchased the Certmaster for both the Net+ and Sec+. I mainly bought it for the retake. The actual certmaster is just okay. Its not that helpful but still worth using. I would recommend purchasing Darill Gibson Sec+ book and watch Professor Messer videos. Also purchase the course notes from Professor Messer
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bought it for the retake option. $311 for one attempt or $386 for two attempts. I actually passed my first attempt but liked having the cheap retake if I failed.

I didn't touch the actual material that came with it, just bought it for the retake.
  • Options
    adrenaline19adrenaline19 Member Posts: 251
    Want to hear something stupid?
    You can't use an American card when registering to take the exams overseas through the CertMaster.
  • Options
    BBirBBir Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After reading through a few threads about study material here, it appears that the Professor Messer video material is by far the most recommended. I will definitely watch those and take notes. I will probably purchase the course notes, but will only do so after I have notated my own set of notes. I learn more with "do" rather than "watch/read" style. I will look into the suggested book, as well.

edit: What particular book is it? Is it this one?
  • Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, that is the book. Its very good
  • Options
    OpusDixieOpusDixie Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I almost bought the Sec+ Cert Master bundle yesterday (primarily for the cheap retake), but then I saw the beta test for Comptia CyberSecurity Analyst for $50. I'm going to take that first. If I pass, then I'll probably skip Sec+ and go for CASP. If I fail, I'll buy the Sec+ bundle.
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say buy it for the retake. Certmaster is cool, but it's icing on the top of what the real deal is. I didn't stress as hard over my test because I knew I had the retake, and I think that helped me pass it.

I'm using the sybex book for CISA right now and am very impressed, if the SEC+ one is as good that'll be a good resource. That plus Certmaster, maybe Prof. Messers $10 study guide just to be sure and you'll be set.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Darril Gibsons book is all you need. I would recommend purchasing his website access for like 20 bucks. Those labs and questions were almost identical to what you will see on the test.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    Darril Gibsons book is all you need. I would recommend purchasing his website access for like 20 bucks. Those labs and questions were almost identical to what you will see on the test.

Is it really? I saw him selling it for about $40, if it's that good then I will get it for sure, I just finished reading his book also.
  • Options
    showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cert master was cool. I used the whole module. Also used Sybex and CBT nuggets for videos. Watched that whole series two days before my exam. Talk about a rush....

I hear ya on the setting a date. Scheduledy test for today on the 5th of this month!!! It was awesome.