Options

certifications career, what do you think and recommend?

j@fostesj@fostes Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□

what do you think and recommend?

completed certifications:
CCNA R/S
CCNA Wireless

certifications to finish this year:
CCNA SECURITY

Future Certifications:
CCSA
LPIC (Essentials and level 1)
CompTIA Network+ it may be worth trying??
CompTIA Security it may be worth trying??
CCNP
OSCP (BIG challenge and goal..but first I want to have training and other certifications.)

My objective is Obtain a good skill as network administrator and finally use that skills to security area (penetration testing)

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What are you most interested? Figure that out and go on from there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel like CompTIA is way lower than CCNA's. So taking Net+ and Sec+ when you already have CCNA / Security (soon) would be redundant IMO.

Kind of like taking A+ after you already have MCITP or something lol.

I could be wrong though. Maybe CCNA + Net+ is good to have?
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    j@fostes wrote: »

CompTIA Network+ it may be worth trying??
    CompTIA Security it may be worth trying??

Nope and Nope. If saving those for your future I would replace Sec+ with CISSP and skip Net+

Edit: also if your just hoping to become Pen Tester I would skip pretty much all the other ones on your list and work on Pen Testing certs... Maybe start with one like eJPT/eCCPT to get your feet wet and go right into OSCP
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd only go for Security+ if you see jobs you want specifically asking for that. Some DOD/gov jobs want that instead of CCNA Security.

Network+ is redundant though.

If you want to go Network Admin and be a pro at that, I'd go for the CCNP. Having that shows you know your stuff and will get you a network admin job more than those other certs.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your serious about electronic burglary throw in some programming (C++, C); scripting languages like Python and Java; as well as a thorough understanding of SQL. That way when you make it through the network defenses you'll be able to find and move the data out of the network. Strange to me that people want to skip the programming part of Penetration testing and think that the breach is the answer - its not - its only the first half.

- b/eads
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Security+ is still worthwhile after (or before) CCNA Security. It gives a broader view of security. I see it is a baseline certification for anyone in IT.

Network+ isn't worthwhile if you have (any) CCNA already. CCNP R+S is good for network administration, but doesn't have a heap of security. But if you want to go down the CCNP Security track, then CCNP R+S is good background knowledge (although not essential).

And look at the eJPT. It is easier than the OSCP, and a good way to ease yourself into things. If you are serious about pen testing, then some coding and database knowledge is useful, as well as an understanding of how web infrastructure works. Pen testing itself has subspecialties. Also, everyone I've heard who actually does pen testing says that it can be tedious and that there is a lot of report writing - you are basically documenting every step and finding.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    my question is whether the CompTIA is worth taking or not , for my objective good skills as an network administrator...and in the future if the dream come true, be PenTest
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    j@fostes wrote: »

My objective is Obtain a good skill as network administrator and finally use that skills to security area (penetration testing)

So.... are you a Network Admin right now?
    If not.... then i guess there's your answer --> CCNP (route/Switch).

The Security+ was FUN (imo). Of course, i didn't know anything about security; so i appreciated the broad exposure it gave me.
    I think its a worthwhile cert if you need a sec baseline,

You sound fairly Young.
    Life is a Marathon... Not a Sprint.

Don't stress too hard... Enjoy the Run :]
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    So.... are you a Network Admin right now?
    If not.... then i guess there's your answer --> CCNP (route/Switch).
    QUOTE]

yes , at this time my function is Network admin.
    As part of maintaining and Networking/System team support, my main responsibility is to plan and install new network solutions to improve IT services in the company and troubleshoot network issues and provide a resolution as soon as possible

I have Experience with Cisco:
    - Cisco Call Manager (CUCM)
    - Cisco Switches (Cat4k5, Cat 6k5, 3XXX series, 2XXX series,Nexus 5000 Series )
    - Cisco MDS9148
    - Cisco Routers (1800 series, 2800 series, 2900 series)
    - Cisco Wireless Lan Controllers, Cisco Access Points
    - Cisco Prime Infrastructure
    - Cisco Identity Services Engine
    - Cisco FWSM
    - Cisco ACS
    - Cisco Irenport C170 platform (Web Security Gateway appliance mails)- Implemented a system Ekahau RTLS (Real Time Location Systems) and Ekahau Vision
    - Ekahau Wireless Site Survey

Experience with Windows platforms :
    Windows Server ( 2003,2008 e 2012)
    Active directory
    DNS
    DHCP
    Exchange
    Desktop users helpdesk (Windows XP,Windows 7,Windows icon_cool.gif

Palo Alto Firewall
    Checkpoint FW/IPS
    PRTG Network Monitor
    McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (McAfee ePO)
    Implemented a system of sensors Sentinel Aginova

Wireless Huawei
    Network Monitorization: Zabbix, Solarwinds, Dude
    Virtualization: VMWare (esxi 4,5,6) Hyper-V
    Linux Distribuitions: Debian(xUbuntu), backbox, Fedora

Though working with a lot of network devices and different vendors ... I still miss something for the computer security field (PenTest is the dream).

To get there dream, I want your help to tell me which wayof certification that could me help to achieve the objective
  • Options
    soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not trying to sound rude but are those your true skillsets? You work or worked on a lot of platforms. My best advise is to get a security degree then work on a couple of security certs that is recommended above.