Options

Interview questions

tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
So lets say you being interviewed or applying for a Sys admin, NW admin, Desktop, whatever. And your interviewing with a IT Director, Manager Maybe VIP. If your asked , so what are your goals in 5 yrs, where do you want to be??? You answer is I am planning on being an IT Director or manager...etc

Is that something to say ?

Comments

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have to say what the employer wants to hear so you could say what you said something along the lines of management. Also to be in the IT field working and continuing to grow blah blah blah. I mean you don't have a crystal ball so how can you know where you'll be in 5 years?
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They just want to see that you have drive, but, I also think it's a silly interview question. Tell them what they want to hear as long as it's not silly, you probably aren't going to go from sysadmin to director in 5 years, you might, but they are hiring a technical role. I'd say something like Sr engineer, architect, something technical that shows that you want to be in the type of role they are hiring for without looking like you want them to be a quick stepping stone.

In the end, like lots of other questions they'll ask you probably aren't giving your 100% honest answer. Your 5 year goal might be to have jumped jobs 3x and doubled your income while milking every company along the way for the most training you can, but they probably don't want to hear that, hah.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I hate that question. Unforeseen events can occur. I say, I plan to be working.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Simple never point out another person job that is interviewing you, lol. Bake the cake, tell them a higher role within their organization or the next company. Or working towards this degree and aligning your skill sets towards it.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If your plan is to be a VP or IT Director in 5 years then I hope you're pretty far along in your career. Keep it realistic, but also don't say something that implies "i want your job in 5 years" or "i'll leave in 5 years for a job like yours"

Say you're looking for continued growth and responsibility in a good organization that supports its employees through training and a path towards upward mobility. sounds like i pulled that out of one of those bs generator websites!
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The correct answer is:

"I think people place too much emphasis on their careers. I wish we could all live in the mountains at high altitude. That's where I see myself in five years. How about you?"

If they smile, you're in. If they don't, then it's probably safer not to work there.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate that question. Unforeseen events can occur. I say, I plan to be working.

Agreed;
    very annoying question.

Since these people think you have the Power to Predict the Future....

tell them you expect to hit the Lottery, and be sitting on a Beach in 5 years ;]
  • Options
    DerkDaDerkDerkDaDerk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've always said "I want to be where you're sitting" and that's never failed me. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Eh, this question never bothered me too much. I'm just honest about what I want to be doing in the future and explain that there's some flexibility long-term since you don't know what's going to happen. As long as I'm continuing to learn, getting relevant certs, and growing in my job roles, I'll be happy with where I'm at.