Options

Is A B.S in Management Information Systems Degree Worth Pursuing?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
What entry-level jobs could I get with this type of degree?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe some type of project manager or business analyst position would be my guess.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Considering that there is rarely an outright requirement for a specific degree, yes. Most places just want to tick the box that you have a degree. If you are worried about rigor, just take the more difficult alternatives for math (like calculus) and science (biology, chemistry, or physics). Then use your electives for some relevant stuff.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Chiming in. Totally Yes, I am a Business Systems Analyst and my Bachelors is in Information Systems Management with a Business Administration Minor.
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Degree matters if you want to fast track. With that said I agree with network newb and oebankole.

Jobs you could get with that degree in a decent market IMO

-System Analyst
    -Business Analyst
    -IT Project Manager
    -IT Project Coordinator
    -Help Desk
    -Application Analyst/Support
    -NOC

I'm sure there are others. One of my close friends in college earned the same degree and he went from college to level 3 support at a huge telecommunication company, creating/developing SCCM packages and managing deployment etc. This was his first job.
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140

I'm sure there are others. One of my close friends in college earned the same degree and he went from college to level 3 support at a huge telecommunication company, creating/developing SCCM packages and managing deployment etc. This was his first job.
    Surely he knew someone there?
  • Options
    I wouldn't bet my life on it (one way or another), but I don't believe that be the case. He did do an internship at one of the local hospitals between his junior and senior year, in an IT role.

Good take away though, internships are big for college students. If you can land one, do it for your junior and senior year.

@Techytach

We just hired a Business Analyst with a Business Admin / MBA degree into our team just recently. He's 25 years old and makes ~ 60,000 for his starting gig. He also had 2 internships with different companies, once as an auditor and once as a sales support function (RFP assistances and SOW, that type of thing). It's out there if you want it enough. I don't know what else to say......
  • Options
    soleteksoletek Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a management degree. Has it benefit me any? Not too much as I haven't applied it yet. But most likely I will be first to get promoted into a manager position as soon as one open up. This type of degree also transfers. It is a management degree in general. So you can apply for any type of management postion out there as long as you have the skillsets.
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It doesn't hurt as it only helps to have a MIS degree. I know people who have it and are very successful.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO you are going about it backwards by looking at a degrees first. First decide what career field you want to be in and the positions that you want to hold then look at multiple job descriptions to see what degree(s) the market is demanding.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Go get an engineering degree then you can allays go back for an MBA . The engineering degree will be worth more than MIS any day.

*sigh... I have an MIS degree and wish I would had stuck with EE.
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Having an idea of what you want to do when you are 18, getting a degree for that (STEM degree), and doing internships is pretty much the standard for getting a good job in today's world. It is statistically proven that moving from an internship to a full time position is the way to go. Especially for a good job, meaning $60k + a year starting out right after college. My neighbor has a degree in MIS and a minor in CS and got hire at PWC as a Cyber Security Consultant. He makes $80k + and he is 22.
  • Options
    I know several EE's without their MBA who hold business roles....... They do have their masters in EE.
  • Options
    KwITKwIT Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Graduated with Business Information Systems which is the same as Management Information Systems. I'm at a desktop support job right now, I think the degree just helps my resume.

I have a friend who also has the same degree and she became a Business Analyst. But pretty much got the job right after graduation because she interned for the company.

A coworker of mine also has the same degree and she a became Developer.