Options

Introduction

jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Morning Guys,

Just a quick Hello really.

I have been working in IT for the last 6 years (38 now) and currently working in a Desktop Support type role where I am the only person in IT.

Recently passed my Network+ and now moving onto a CCNA (ICND Route).

REALLY looking forward to it, I am taking a couple of weeks off and then starting on the CCENT/CCNA ICND 100-105 Official Cert Guide. Think of taking out a CBT Nuggets Monthly subscription too, or Udemy.

Any other great Video resources that can be recommended?

I have signed up to CISCO Training for Packet Tracer, and I have a Couple of Routers and Switches to practice on. Cant wait to get started and hope you don't mind me bothering you all with loads of questions as time goes on :)

Cheers,

Ron

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome.

We all learn from the questions posted. Sometimes when one of us answers we just know the answer because we see it all the time, while other times we have to look back at study notes, Google the answer and/or test something out in a lab before we can answer, and hence we learn a little bit more while helping you to learn.

I strongly recommend Googling the problem/question and trying to test answers you find on lab equipment first before posting. It's not as quick to get your answer, but it's really satisfying to hit a problem and learn yourself how to resolve it, or to have a question and work out the answer by yourself. There's one guy on the Udemy site has posted literally dozens of really basic questions in just a few days and I wonder to myself that if he can't learn the basics from the videos he's watching how does he think he'll ever pass a CCNA.
  • Options
    Agree with all points there, thank you.
    I was actually thinking more Study Material questions though to be honest :)

I have had a look on Udemy for example and there seem to be a lot of different Courses. Some of which have mixed reviews, others only cover "Scenarios" while others just cover multiple choice.

Is there anything on Udemy that you would suggest?

Cheers
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using the study guide by Todd Lammle, I've found him easier to read when compared to Odom. I also subscribed to CBT nuggets and would highly recommend them. You can use CBT for just about any certification path out there which is nice.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does cbtnuggets allow you to "rent" the ccna course?
    Or do you have to signup for the entire 12-month contract?

If your Job ain't paying for it.... you may want to consider other options.
    I used danscourses (google for it), keith barker (youtube vids from 2011), and packet tracer; All were very Beneficial.
    Also, you could purchase the ccna course from INE; i believe only $99 (but it's Not the NEW 2016 version; or maybe it is)

On a tangent,
    congratulations on your success in IT. Glad to see people breaking-in later in their career.
    However, based on my experience, it's hard to continue learning/growing when there's no one else to learn from...
    :]
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the N+ exam! I finished my CCNA just before Memorial Day and I did the ICND1 and ICND2 route. I found the Cisco Learning forum to be invaluable. Packet Tracer is great and I used it extensively. Good Luck!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Does cbtnuggets allow you to "rent" the ccna course?
    Or do you have to signup for the entire 12-month contract?

If your Job ain't paying for it.... you may want to consider other options.
    I used danscourses (google for it), keith barker (youtube vids from 2011), and packet tracer; All were very Beneficial.
    Also, you could purchase the ccna course from INE; i believe only $99 (but it's Not the NEW 2016 version; or maybe it is)

On a tangent,
    congratulations on your success in IT. Glad to see people breaking-in later in their career.
    However, based on my experience, it's hard to continue learning/growing when there's no one else to learn from...
    :]

I don't see an option to rent. Personally I did the 3 year contract. I look at it this way is that the CCNA isn't going to be the last cert I go for and there are a couple other avenues of IT I've looked at. It's certainly not "cheap", but for me I compare it to the cost of tuition anywhere and it's obviously way cheaper.
  • Options
    Thanks @Mike, I really like CBT Nuggets so I may very well sign up again. I am hoping work will pay for it but seeing as the CCNA R&S isn't prevalent to my role, I will be paying for it myself (Like the Network+).

@Volfkhat Thank you, I have Packet Tracer and will check out DansCourses as well.

@NavymooseCCNA Thanks for the advice. I have had a quick look and it seems great, I will be signing up today.
  • Options
    duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you passed Network+, in my opinion this accelerated courses from Todd Lammle on itpro.tv:
    https://itpro.tv/course-library/ccent-updated-2016/internetworking/
    https://itpro.tv/course-library/ccna-routing-switching2/introduction-icnd2/
    will more appropriate for you
  • Options
    liz4rdliz4rd Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll love CCNA

Definitely youtube Danscourses - he has 200+ labs you can follow along with on packet tracer. Also Cybrary has a really good free course for CCNA. And finally https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/premium-subscriptions - $11 dollars a month for prem content. A bargain! Comes with 7 day free trial.