Options

BSOD when trying to run a system restore in safemode windows 7

bambi401bambi401 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever ran into this issue? I'm curious as to what might cause this to happen.

Comments

• Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did it give you an error code?
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I'm curious of the error code. Does it work fine when logging into Windows normally? When was the last successful attempt that this worked? And what changed since then?

You can try a startup repair or sfc /scannow (although that's better ran in safe mode)
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Try running the built in diagnostics if you have any. Might want to try Memtest as well. A large portion of BSOD's I see at work are due to bad memory.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I'd say hardware was a likely culprit at this point.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\system
    or its log or alternate
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
  • Options
    It will not boot up normally. I managed to run a decryption software on a flash drive to access the hard drive and swapped the SYSTEM hive with a Default windows 7 System Hive and it will boot up normally. The issue I sometimes run into here is that I will get a "windows is not genuine" error. So i would try to run a restore in safemode to try and grab the correct SYSTEM hive from a previous point in time - Blue screens every time

Running a system restore on a normal boot does not work because of the AV, which cannot be disabled. Only option is to run it within safemode
    markulous wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm curious of the error code. Does it work fine when logging into Windows normally? When was the last successful attempt that this worked? And what changed since then?

You can try a startup repair or sfc /scannow (although that's better ran in safe mode)
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/830084

[h=5]CAUSE[/h]
    This problem may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
    • The hardware where you are trying to install Windows XP may not be compatible with Windows XP.
    • The hard disk where you are trying to install Windows XP may be damaged.

I hope this helps.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]