Options

Native VLAN vs. Default VLAN

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
About to schedule CCNA 100-101 before the Aug. 20 date that the test changes. While studying I'm coming across questions that ask about native VLANs and default VLANs. In the packet tracer practice labs I've done on VLANs, I see that the default VLAN is VLAN 1, but am unsure what is a vative VLAN and what it is used for. Can someone clear this up for me or send me in the right direction. Thanks for all the help so far.

P.S. I am not consistently passing learncisco.net practice exams with scores of 920 or so. I feel like I understand many many topics, but know that I have memorized many of the test questions, since I've taken that practice test probably 30 times. I have subnetting down cold!

Thanks again. I hope to contribute to this site at some point so I can give back.

-Benny

Comments

• Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The native VLAN on a trunk is used to carry untagged traffic.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To add on from DPG information, Vlan 1 is the default vlan and native vlan but you can change the native vlan to a different vlan with "switchport trunk native vlan XXX".
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The native VLAN, is the VLAN on a trunk that isn't tagged, this can be different on every trunk port of a switch. The default VLAN on the other hand is simply VLAN 1, which by default is what all access ports are assigned to. And is the VLAN that all control protocols like CDP, STP, and other protocols will use to pass management and control packets with. It is also highly recommended that you always change all of your access ports on a switch to use a different VLAN, and to use a different native VLAN, other than VLAN 1.
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the best way to understand native vlan is this: if a switch receives an untagged frame on a trunk, it will put it into a vlan that you configured as native on that trunk.
  • Options
    BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks. Is there a "default native VLAN". . meaning does a native VLAN exist or does it need to be created?
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VLAN 1 is the native VLAN on any trunk unless otherwise specified.