Options

Which are the best IT Certs to obtain prior to joining WGU?

fumanchufumanchu Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks;

I intend to join WGU and take up BSIT(Sec). What would be the IT certifications that you would have taken or suggest to maximize the CU before enrolling with WGU and talking to the counselor?

Thank you
Fumanchu

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When was your last IT certification taken? If it is still current, your CCIE may cover the CCNA classes.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks Stryder for the quick response. My CCIE is still active. Is it a good strategy to do the Comptia (A,Net,Sec,Proj+) and Microsoft MCSA before enrolling?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might be in uncharted waters having such a high level certification and enrolling into WGU. Just saying......
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, it all depends. For instance, getting the Comptia certs you mentioned would set you back roughly 1269 USD. That is a little less than half of one term in cost. Considering that the CUs from those tests would add up to approximately 20 CUs, that is a bit more than one term's worth of credits, assuming that you only did those classes in one term. With your CCIE included, you would probably receive nearly two terms of credits, assuming that you are not transferring in any other accredited classwork.

If you really want to save some money, look at the general education requirements and match them up with what is available at Saylor Academy (saylor.org). For 25 USD you can get guaranteed transferable gen ed credits, as WGU has a partnership with Saylor.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Stryder144, your suggestion is helpful and much appreciated.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went into WGU with several certs. My A+ had long since expired but my MCSE 2012 satisfied five courses alone if I recall, the A+ courses being two of them, as of early 2014...that, of course, may have changed since. I'd think with such a high-level cert, it very well could be the same case for you as well, so messing with the entry level certs before enrolling may not be the best use of your time, depending on what you're goals are.

That being said, I did not have my CCDA prior to starting and I wish I had, my CCNA and CCNA-Sec obviously satisfied those two requirements in the BSIT-Security track, but the CCDA would have satisfied something I wasn't looking forward to taking. So, having an additional cert or two may prove useful in certain cases.

I'd have to dig my transfer evaluation report out, but I know it stated what certs at the time would have satisfied a given course in the Security track.
  • Options
    Thank you Gixxer for your suggestion. I will do the Comptia certs as I progress with the term.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    personally I would just do the CIW certs. they're cheap and easy and the classes they're associated are time consuming pains in the a**

the comptia stuff I'd study up as if you were going to take them prior to, prepare all the way to the point you're going to take it and then ask your mentor if you can take those classes first and save that 1200.
  • Options
    I like your suggestion josephandre. Thank you.
  • Options
    Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I urge everyone to get as many of the program’s certs as possible before hand. I spent a summer getting my MCSA Server 2012 and also the 70-687 exam. Those certs transferred into the IT-Network Admin degree for 36 credits, so it really helped. Cost $450 out of my pocket with vouchers, but saved me an extra term I figure.
  • Options
    Hello Gamesta400;

I see that these following Certs are common to most BSIT. Do you recommend to complete these certs along with the CIW certs?

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Project+
    CompTIA Linux+

Thanks
  • Options
    Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I myself would try and do the hardest certs outside of WGU and transfer them in. Remember it cost like $20 every day of your term for tuition. Best to get the hard stuff done beforehand. For example, most people would agree that getting the Server 2012 MCSA in 3 months would be very fast, with most estimating 4-6 months. So if I had earned it while enrolled in WGU, I would have used up $1,500 to $3,000 worth of tuition just getting my MCSA. Best to do the hard certs beforehand and transfer them into WGU.

Of the Certs you listed, Security+ and Linux+ are going to be the hardest in all likelihood. I hear the Linux+ is surprisingly hard. If you do this outside of WGU, make sure you use vouchers. Can save yourself some serious money.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in this exact scenario. I was going to start WGU months ago, but after doing cost breakdowns decided to wait. I know how long it takes me to get certs, a while. Studying for just one test that is hundreds of dollars is stressful. I'm getting Project+ scheduled test for next Thursday, the voucher was 260 dollars. I can take my time studying for it without tuition also over my head. I plan to enroll before the end of the year so I can take advantage of the tuition credit from the government, and hopefully get a tax return. If I get Project+ as predicted, I plan to start on Linux+. I'm going to build a home server and I already bought the Sybex book to study.