Options

Question about printer permissions.

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
Manage Printers:
Allows a user to configure and remove the printer, share the printer and set permissions for the Printer, in addition to all task allowed by Manage Documents. Administrators and Power Users have Manage Printer permission by default.

The above quote is from the TechNotes for 70-270, and is about the same thing that the MS Press book says. When I was practicing permissions on my computer the permission Manage Printers did not include the Manage Documents permission. I checked on the MS website and found this: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_printconcepts_12.mspx
Which seems to indicate that what is said in the TechNotes and MS Press book are wrong. Which one is true? Am I just missing something?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'll have to triple-check tomorrow, but it looks like the folks who wrote the MS Press book and I incorrectly re-used information we wrote for Windows 2000. I wrote the Printing TechNotes for win2000 before the XP version, and even though I carefully checked for differences, it seems this one slipped through. It looks like they actually changed it. But the fact that MS did the same, could be more than a coincidence, i.e. do you have the latest version updated for SP2?

Windows 2000 printer permissions:
    www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_printconcepts_12.htm
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I tried it on two computers w/ SP2, both with the same results. I've never configured print permissions on Windows 2000 so I didn't realise it was different. Seems like a strang thing for MS to change.
  • Options
    Stryder67Stryder67 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So any idea how this may impact a question on the test? I guess only someone who has seen it could answer : /
    KISS - Keep it simple Stupid