Options

CCNA for beginners assistance

jperry3974jperry3974 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the best way for a beginner to begin the ccna r&s cert? The best route seems to be to take the thests one at a time instead of the composite. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Also is there a series of videos that goes through the ccent syllabus exactly? I 'assume' the Cisco library video does but I was looking for another source pay or free.. thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grab a CCNA book, maybe some videos online, download Packet Tracer (its free, just need to Google it, easy to find), and go to work!

I like CBT nuggets for videos and will go through CCENT topics. That will cost money though. (believe there is a free trial you could try...) Youtube is always good resource for free videos though.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best way to start imo is to pick up the Odom book and start reading. Once you get the theory down then move on to do some labs. There are a lot of lab resources for CCNA R&S.

As far as 1 tests vs 2 tests--well it's been beaten to death here and you will get mixed opinions.
  • Options
    jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Labbing was critical for me, so it really depends on your learning style. I have personally never read a certification book cover to cover, I tend to learn more organically and learn the material from multiple sources (videos, rfc's, tech white papers, GOOGLE). All the material is reinforced while labbing. As far as the 1 or 2 test route, I personally took the composite. My reasoning was that if you do the 2 test route, you will have around 100 questions total to answer between the two test, but the info is spread out. With the 1 test, its around 50 questions on the same material, just all at once, BUT i figured they have to have some easy questions and hard ones, the entire composite exam is not going to be all difficult questions. I also had a lot of networking exposure before ​I even started studying, so my viewpoint is skewed.
  • Options
    liz4rdliz4rd Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've just passed the composite. I hear it's easier to take in 2 tests though.

Danscourses on Youtube and CybraryIT offer great courses (free) which you can follow along with Packet Tracer.
    Paid course: Laz and Chris Bryant on Udemy also the Cisco learning network monthly subscription is reasonable. $11 I think...
  • Options
    jperry3974jperry3974 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you guys are awesome, great specific advice! I was just going to go for the ccent because my goal is the ccna security, but I think I will go the extra mile and go ahead and get the ccna r&s cert with one test. Packet tracer seems to be exactly what I need (free, hands on lab environment)