Options

Sybex V MS Press

kovokovo Member Posts: 122
Just wondering what the prefeered book is for study. I feel Sybex is easier to read and not as boring as MD Press, although ive read for the later exams besides the 270 and 290 the sybex books dont have enough info.

Comments

• Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    forget sybex on the server exam; it doesn't explain much. I would recommend the ms press along with the syngress (this one has good explanation).
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also think the Sybex book is inefficient for this exam as a lone study source. You will want to go with the MS Press book for sure.
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I feel that the Sybex is pretty poor and much prefer the MS Press book, but even that skims over some sections (according to both the Sybex and MS Press book I can learn all I need about IIS in around 30 minutes from 10 pages! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Syngress book does go into much more detail
  • Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I studied and passed (barely) the 270 test with the Sybex book (only). I felt very comfortable and confident that I knew 98% of the book. Looking back, I feel the Sybex book alone left me unprepared to take the 270 test. The day I passed the test I immediately went to nerdbooks.com and ordered the MS Press book for the 290 test. I will use both Sybex and MS Press for the 290 test. That is my experience.
  • Options
    texasmcdsttexasmcdst Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think Sybex is great! Mark Minasi did a great job on Mastering Windows Server 2003. Easy to read and very informitive. MS Press writes there books which require you to build labs and follow along, which is great for some.

Personally I don't think any book really provides you adequate info for the MS exams. You need extra materials like transcender or some other material. These prep you for the type pf questions you can expect on the exam.

I would read a book digest the info, then do a transcender and a light will come on when you remember the theory you had read, and the transcenders show you how it works in the real world.

This is just my opinion and how I do it. Others may use other methods.

I've taken lots of exams and read a lot of MS books and I've never been comfortable in the test chair. But the transcenders take a bit of the edge off.

Adios,

texasmcdst
    Paul P
    NRH, TX
  • Options
    texasmcdst wrote:
    I think Sybex is great! Mark Minasi did a great job on Mastering Windows Server 2003. Easy to read and very informitive. MS Press writes there books which require you to build labs and follow along, which is great for some.
    texasmcdst

Couldn't agree more. Manasi saved my butt many times when I'm stuck on understanding certain topics; however, I do occasionally get tired of reading the find details he puts in...hehe, but I'd rather have that way than any others. I guess one should be looking for the reputable authors and not the publishers.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    texasmcdst wrote:

Agreed, that book is excellent - when I said the Sybex book wasn't up to much I was referring to the training guide by Lisa Donald who copied and pasted pretty much the entire book from the Windows help files ....
  • Options
    The funny thing is that there are days when I'm all energized to study and find that MS Press isn't bad to read; but those others days, I look forward to having my hand held "to cross the street" from other books. icon_lol.gif