Options

Comptia CertMaster vs Gibson, which is more relevant to the exam?

OpusDixieOpusDixie Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've read Gibson's Security+ "Get Certified, Get Ahead" book, and as a supplement I'm using Comptia's CertMaster. I'm noticing several questions in CertMaster that were definitely not covered in the book.

My question is for those who've used CertMaster and taken the exam; did you find the CertMaster questions pretty close to the exam, or were practice questions from other study guides more relevant? I feel like the Gibson book taught me a lot (especially tackling some confusion I had regarding encryption), but after starting CertMaster, I fear I'm somewhat unprepared.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer.

Thank you,

-OD

Comments

• Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am currently using Gibson Security + and the CertMaster but have not taken the exam yet. I used the Certmaster for the Net+ and did not find it that useful. I would defientitly not use it as your only source, but as a supplement to other material.
  • Options
    Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I honestly used Exam Cram SYO-401 and that practice exam (it has two.) and some extras when I bought my voucher from Discount IT Certification Exam Voucher for CompTIA and Microsoft and I passed. Definitely know your ports. and understand the theories and methods they teach you. I took it 3 weeks ago and passed first try. It's harder than A+ or Net+ for sure. It also has a few simulation questions.
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • Options
    Kuvuli21Kuvuli21 Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing against CompTia. I just do not trust the CertMaster they put out.
    Currently studying: 70-680 Windows 7: Configuring

2017-2018 goals: 70-685, Server 2012, CWNP, SSCP and/or CCNA.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Gibson!! Hands Down.icon_cheers.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I went ahead and borrowed the Sybex guide as a backup. I'll probably rush through it and use the practice questions there as well. Good luck to you when you take the exam!
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll check out Exam Cram tonight. So far, I'm not a fan of the CertMaster either. I just bought the bundle for the free retest.